Aderan Wars
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I suggest we make ONLY absoultely necessary updates

+4
ian
Nomad
seaborgium
Kenzu
8 posters

Go down

I suggest we make ONLY absoultely necessary updates Empty I suggest we make ONLY absoultely necessary updates

Post by Kenzu Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:17 pm

I suggest that only updates will be made that are absolutely necessary. I keep receiving loads of complaints about many updates that have been made and also a lot of complaints about so called upcomming updates and updates which are being suggested.

Think about it, an update which might make the game slightly more interesting for a couple people, might make a big change to a couple other people, big enough for them to quit. I don't want that.

An update which doesn't bring more players to the game but leads to even a small number of people quit playing is not worth being added.

If you got a cool idea for an update, make it there, where it will not force all players to be influenced by it, where it doesn't harm people, namely in reset server.

The main goal of further updates should be not to make the game even more complicated and less understandable.
The main goal of all updates should be to make the game more appealing to the eye, become easier to be learned, simpler and more interesting.
Kenzu
Kenzu
Alliance Leader
Alliance Leader

Number of posts : 3034
Registration date : 2008-12-03

Back to top Go down

I suggest we make ONLY absoultely necessary updates Empty Re: I suggest we make ONLY absoultely necessary updates

Post by seaborgium Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:24 pm

tbh kenzu, I would tell them to post here. Its hard to see how others feel if they are only messaging 1 -2 players.

Or you could post it for them, just copy/paste there message into the right topic.

seaborgium
2nd in Command
2nd in Command

Number of posts : 2551
Registration date : 2009-10-06

Back to top Go down

I suggest we make ONLY absoultely necessary updates Empty Re: I suggest we make ONLY absoultely necessary updates

Post by Nomad Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:32 pm

I agree, why can't they speak for themselves? or message admin themselves?

Secondly, updates in general are good, its more the poor impementaion of last thats caused problems. discussion before hand is better then ranting afterwards. Even if people dont agree they can accept things better when they know its coming.
Nomad
Nomad
Alliance Leader
Alliance Leader

ID : WORD OF THE DAY
Hipocracy
hy·poc·ri·sy
Show Spelled[hi-pok-ruh-see]
–noun, plural -sies.

1. a pretense of having a virtuous character, moral or religious beliefs or principles, etc., that one does not really possess.
2. the practice of professing standards, beliefs, etc, contrary to one's real character or actual behavior, esp the pretense of virtue and piety
3. a pretense of having some desirable or publicly approved attitude.

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2008-12-17

Back to top Go down

Post by ian Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:45 pm

Kenzu wrote:I suggest that only updates will be made that are absolutely necessary. I keep receiving loads of complaints about many updates that have been made and also a lot of complaints about so called upcomming updates and updates which are being suggested.

Think about it, an update which might make the game slightly more interesting for a couple people, might make a big change to a couple other people, big enough for them to quit. I don't want that.

An update which doesn't bring more players to the game but leads to even a small number of people quit playing is not worth being added.

If you got a cool idea for an update, make it there, where it will not force all players to be influenced by it, where it doesn't harm people, namely in reset server.

The main goal of further updates should be not to make the game even more complicated and less understandable.
The main goal of all updates should be to make the game more appealing to the eye, become easier to be learned, simpler and more interesting.

I sort of agree with you. However it should be noted:

- Simplicity and ease of learning applies to new players. In this regard the current system is effective as it is (lets not forget the whole simplicity system which basically renders all but the most basic functions usable which players can select to use, or that most thing's you hover over tell you what they do)

- More advanced and complicated systems i.e. such as updates to the attack system, or stuff like airforce/research centre... inevitably require considerable time and effort on the game before a player can realistically use them. I.e. If a player is going to start using the attack system to his full potential.. by and large in the vast vast vast majority of the situations its used, they aren't going to be a player who joined only a week ago - consequently its fair to say they ll have had sufficient time to get to grips with the games mechanics and systems.

As such... I m gonna offer another view:

Admin SHOULD be adding bits to the game which make it more complicated and indepth to play - thing's like the airforce, research centre 2, space-stations etc...

Why? Because by the point a player realistically is gonna be able to use any of those functions... they ll have been playing for a little while and consequently will likely understand the "existing" system and obviously if they keep playing will like how AW is progressing.

Adding more options and updates which further enhance game-strategy and game-play styles i.e. giving the game more depth - will thus serve only to keep more experienced/long term players interested - helping prevent them getting bored and leaving.

I do however agree that admin should limit himself to only updates which are necessary and serve to try and better the game - preferably via deciding the order of preference and priority a update will take based on the significance of its impacts to the game and based on what will benefit the most players.

Those which are the most significant and benefit the most players should be given priority.

If admin can think of updates to help keep the game simple in terms of the mechanics "new" players will most likely use.... then its a worthwhile update since your right simplicity and ease of learning will help keep new player retention rates high.

Likewise - the learning curve shouldn't simply stop - otherwise larger and more experienced players will grow bored. Consequently the more things for more experienced players to do and consequently the more flexibility in terms of potential game strategies/ choices (i.e. should I focus on airforce, or focus on strike or whatever?) then this will also help improve player retention among the more experienced players.

Dune-wars mainly died not because it wasn't gaining new players... but because it was loosing older one's at a faster rate.

Aderan-Wars is a long way from dieing (its infact growing)... but it should learn from DW's lessons... that the key to a successful game is to keep the existing players, and to get ever more players. If a dam is breached you don't simply keep filling the lake with fresh water...you plug the hole and then keep filling it.

Update the game to ensure new players find it enjoyable and to ensure there's not a steep learning curve.... but also keep the game fresh with stuff for more experienced players to keep working on to keep them interested and enjoying AW - not to mention it will also help motivate new players even more if they see "cool" functions & thing's more experienced players have which if they work hard they also can have.... i.e. such as a airforce.

I know if i was a new player joining AW today and i could only train spies, attack, defence, income and assassin forces... that if i then found out other player's have airforces and can bomb people or whatever that I d really want to also have a airforce, and consequently make that one of my first objectives to get & achieve - thereby making me even more interested in aderan wars increasing the likelyhood I d keep playing!

ian
ian
Coalition Officer
Coalition Officer

Alliance : You get 3 guesses as to which one Razz
Number of posts : 1180
Registration date : 2009-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Nomad Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:19 pm

agreed.
Nomad
Nomad
Alliance Leader
Alliance Leader

Hipocracy
hy·poc·ri·sy
–noun, plural -sies.

1. a pretense of having a virtuous character, moral or religious beliefs or principles, etc., that one does not really possess.
2. the practice of professing standards, beliefs, etc, contrary to one's real character or actual behavior, esp the pretense of virtue and piety

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenzu Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:58 pm

Yes, ian, you are right.

Not only to ensure growth, but also to make sure that old players don't leave. We should learn from the mistakes of other games where in the long term substantial numbers of players left due to updates.

Even though each update might have a majority in supporters, it was the tiny minority of players that left, the difference in the long run, when the admins of the games realised that something they were doing was wrong.

It is true that some players want change, but others would like as little change as possible, and maybe we should listen to them and give them the chance to ahieve that.

Now that there is the possibility to have more servers it wouldnt be a bad idea to consider having 1 non-reset server with the system we currently have, and another one where many things get added. If people cant live with some of the changes, they simply stick with the simple server.

I would love to see an airforce finally!
A pity there are more pressing issues.
Airforce is something that everyone is looking for, whereas most other updates are unknown to many.
Kenzu
Kenzu
Alliance Leader
Alliance Leader

Number of posts : 3034
Registration date : 2008-12-03

Back to top Go down

Post by seaborgium Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:00 pm

I can for see 1 update causing some to leave, I am interested in seeing how it comes out but I not sure its worth the effort you guys are putting in.

seaborgium
2nd in Command
2nd in Command

Back to top Go down

Post by ian Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:50 am

which update sea?
ian
ian
Coalition Officer
Coalition Officer

Back to top Go down

Post by seaborgium Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:18 am

the one currently being worked on.

seaborgium
2nd in Command
2nd in Command

Back to top Go down

Post by ian Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:28 am

seaborgium wrote:the one currently being worked on.

Trading?
ian
ian
Coalition Officer
Coalition Officer

Back to top Go down

Post by seaborgium Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:33 am

si senior

seaborgium
2nd in Command
2nd in Command

Back to top Go down

Post by Manleva Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:23 am

@Kenzu - While I can share your concern about the loss pf players all should be aware of the reality that all things change over time and we all have to adapt.

I'm fairly sure that Admin will not be making change just for the sake of it or because it may suite just a few but rather that they will be beneficial and will improve the game for the majority.

If you are receiving complaints from other players I would suggest that you point them to this forum where they could raise their concerns and discuss them.

So long as they make reasonable posts I feel sure that they will get reasonable responses.

There is also an additional benefit and that is quite simply that more involvement in this forum will create a stronger community. As this community grows more interesting things will happen within the forum which in turn provides more to the players than just the game itself.
Manleva
Manleva
Aderan Assassin
Aderan Assassin

ID : 999
Alliance : TMI
Number of posts : 659
Registration date : 2009-08-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:08 am

Kenzu wrote:Also, it's no secret what updates are unpopular, I think they are pretty clear.
That's why we have a survey system, so that everyone gets a voice in the decisions on updates.
survey system != comments

updates unpopular or just have people disliking them
I can't think of an update that everyone liked, or put this way, if only updates were put in that everyone likes then 98% of the stuff would never be put in
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4363
Registration date : 2008-08-18

http://www.aderanwars.com

Back to top Go down

Post by seaborgium Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:28 am

I wonder how many ppl will understand admins comment
Admin wrote:survey system != comments

no update will ever be fully liked. The question is how will admin handle that?
Such as his current trade idea. If it isn't like by a majority of players will it change?

seaborgium
2nd in Command
2nd in Command

Back to top Go down

Post by Nomad Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:52 pm

Manleva wrote:@Kenzu - While I can share your concern about the loss pf players all should be aware of the reality that all things change over time and we all have to adapt.

I'm fairly sure that Admin will not be making change just for the sake of it or because it may suite just a few but rather that they will be beneficial and will improve the game for the majority.

If you are receiving complaints from other players I would suggest that you point them to this forum where they could raise their concerns and discuss them.

So long as they make reasonable posts I feel sure that they will get reasonable responses.

There is also an additional benefit and that is quite simply that more involvement in this forum will create a stronger community. As this community grows more interesting things will happen within the forum which in turn provides more to the players than just the game itself.

Well said Manleva, Well said.

At Kenzu, while I applaud the fact you try to help others, at the same time you need to realise people leave, and there is nothing you can do to stop them. You can not please everyone. Even unpopular and unwanted updates are often needed for the long term health and growth of a game.

Its just my opinion, but if a person is not willing to put forth a reasonable question/thought/suggestion to be discussed and considered, then they have little room to complain about anything. You can reach admin without ever setting foot in these forums, and no offense to you Kenzu, but 1 should not be allowed to speak for many,,,, because noone really knows who they are or if they are real.

As for Admins suggested idea, just police it and remove useless, confusing, and vulgar responses. Tho if they are to lazy and uncaring enough to refuse to come to forums, then I'll bet they wont go there either Wink
Nomad
Nomad
Alliance Leader
Alliance Leader

Hipocracy
hy·poc·ri·sy
–noun, plural -sies.

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:16 am

Nomad wrote:As for Admins suggested idea, just police it and remove useless, confusing, and vulgar responses. Tho if they are to lazy and uncaring enough to refuse to come to forums, then I'll bet they wont go there either Wink
not coming to the forum will significantly reduce the impact they can have on updates before they are made, that doesn't mean that some changes won't be possible to do after the fact.

and i am uncertain about the actual benefit itself to the updates, I am willing to bet that if said system is done then it would be possible to receive some good comments, though the % of useful comments would be, similar to the forum, very close to 1-5%.
The vast majority would be "sucks" "i dont like it" "ty" "great update" "pls fix my bug" "you should make that farm attacks also destroy defense"

And, at the very least, if it makes at least a few people enter the forum or get more involved in some way then it will be a success

Last edited by Admin on Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nomad Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:19 am

Admin wrote: at the very least, if it makes at least a few people enter the forum or get more involved in some way then it will be a success

Agreed
Nomad
Nomad
Alliance Leader
Alliance Leader

Hipocracy
hy·poc·ri·sy
–noun, plural -sies.

Back to top Go down

Post by J1nx Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:09 pm

Not sure where to post this so i figured i would put it in this thread....

My suggestion for a future update would be to change the upgrade buttons in the research tab... i dunno if it is the same for other players but the current upgrade buttons arnt 'clickable' on my blackberry and i usually use my blackberry to play, meaning that i have to find a PC if i want to research something.
While this sort of update is not absolutely necessary, it does make the game more user friendly bcuz more and more ppl rely on their smart phones nowadays, making gaming on the move possible.

Just my 2 cents worth...

J1nx
Aderan Worker
Aderan Worker

Number of posts : 143
Registration date : 2009-08-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:37 pm

never heard of an unclickable button just cos it's on a phone. will look into that

edit:
nvm: apparently it's your browser and a standard problem
http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-Storm-BlackBerry-9500/question-about-Storm-s-browser-can-t-click-on-buttons-on/td-p/165872

get opera mini
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by J1nx Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:40 pm

wow that was a fast response

thx admin, i will give that a look

not many games have admin available to attend problems so quickly... u just need to find a way to get more new players to join (esp the forums) and it will do wonders for the game

J1nx
Aderan Worker
Aderan Worker

Number of posts : 143
Registration date : 2009-08-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:40 pm

J1nx wrote:wow that was a fast response

thx admin, i will give that a look

not many games have admin available to attend problems so quickly... u just need to find a way to get more new players to join (esp the forums) and it will do wonders for the game
the invitation bonuses can give you a very good boost if you get active players into the game yourself, and we do spend a lot on ads
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nomad Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:54 am

I have that problem on SGW and always have, opra mini would never work on my Blackjack, but I never had problems on AW with it.
Nomad
Nomad
Alliance Leader
Alliance Leader

Hipocracy
hy·poc·ri·sy
–noun, plural -sies.

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:05 am

Nomad wrote:I have that problem on SGW and always have, opra mini would never work on my Blackjack, but I never had problems on AW with it.
guess it's time to snoop on sgw's code now to see what's the difference.
j1nx any chance you could send me a pm with a list of buttons that work/dont work on AW and if there's any buttons that work/dont work on gatewars.com
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Capt_Blood Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:14 am

Blackberries are only good if they come in pies however i thing j1nx's would probably result in indigestion if it was used in that way.

It should be noted that the life of the Blackberry could well be limited due to the policies of the company. The number of countries around the world that are preventing it being sold is increasing.
Capt_Blood
Capt_Blood
Aderan Soldier
Aderan Soldier

Alliance : The Legion of Blood
Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2010-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:23 am

Capt_Blood wrote:Blackberries are only good if they come in pies however i thing j1nx's would probably result in indigestion if it was used in that way.

It should be noted that the life of the Blackberry could well be limited due to the policies of the company. The number of countries around the world that are preventing it being sold is increasing.
as much as it might be funny, if you dont plan on writing something directly related to the topic at hand, please dont post anything at all

that being said, i'll remind everyone of the topic title, any further discussion about different issues should be continued in a different topic
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down