Aderan Wars
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Am I possibly making/wanting to make the game too complicated?

+3
Nomad
hexfactor
Admin
7 posters

Go down

Am I possibly making/wanting to make the game too complicated? Empty Am I possibly making/wanting to make the game too complicated?

Post by Admin Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:24 am

"More is not always better"

Looking at what I've already coded and what I still plan on coding, I feel I'm at an impase.

On one hand this is meant to be a simple game, easy to learn but hard to master. (Also this is KOC based code, so obviously there's only so much it's useful for as most of you know, considering that I know now that the next game I'll code will be from scratch)
On the other hand if there is too little depth strategy abuses are inevitable (imagine, only having strike, defense and covert, without sabotage. You have no way of touching those who build strikes to annoy people), plus I only try to put in options that enhance the game but don't clog it up too much.

Am I really trying to fit an elephant into a shoe box? or should I rather throw away the elephant, buy a monkey and teach it how to make itself smaller so that it fits into that box?
Or should I just keep going, reminding myself of the goals on not to make this too complicated and remembering the limits, and doing the best out of it?
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4363
Registration date : 2008-08-18

http://www.aderanwars.com

Back to top Go down

Am I possibly making/wanting to make the game too complicated? Empty Re: Am I possibly making/wanting to make the game too complicated?

Post by hexfactor Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:09 am

personally i think youre doing fine so far, i like the game

hexfactor
Untrained Unit
Untrained Unit

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2009-01-12

Back to top Go down

Am I possibly making/wanting to make the game too complicated? Empty Re: Am I possibly making/wanting to make the game too complicated?

Post by Nomad Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:50 pm

I think its doing fine. Only issue I have is the slow pace(Which I happen to love) coupled with the low start point (Which I don't understand why all these game start so low) is equaling a weak start. I dearly wish we could get more active players in and some "wild guns".
Nomad
Nomad
Alliance Leader
Alliance Leader

ID : WORD OF THE DAY
Hipocracy
hy·poc·ri·sy
Show Spelled[hi-pok-ruh-see]
–noun, plural -sies.

1. a pretense of having a virtuous character, moral or religious beliefs or principles, etc., that one does not really possess.
2. the practice of professing standards, beliefs, etc, contrary to one's real character or actual behavior, esp the pretense of virtue and piety
3. a pretense of having some desirable or publicly approved attitude.

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2008-12-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:54 pm

Nomad wrote:coupled with the low start point (Which I don't understand why all these game start so low) is equaling a weak start
what would be the difference between giving everyone 50 uu's in the start or 50k?
except the obvious fact that everyone will only have larger numbers

and by now top armies wouldn't be 4k+ but a few mil.
meaning you'd be just as small compared to the big guys
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nomad Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:00 pm

Admin wrote:
Nomad wrote:coupled with the low start point (Which I don't understand why all these game start so low) is equaling a weak start
what would be the difference between giving everyone 50 uu's in the start or 50k?
except the obvious fact that everyone will only have larger numbers

I guess my resoning is basicly like this.

say it was 5K start point. Most normal active players will train and build a military army therefore decreasing their income units. Id say 1K to 1500 on most accounts as soon as resources allowed. What that means is its more profitable to farm then sit on your own income. Presently farming is fairly useless to all but the biggest and newest players. The midrange are suffereing a bit as the average resources out minus the repair cost to take them is = about what my natural income is.

I may be wrong, just seems like with the limited AT here, that a larger start would have promoted some better growth but not allowed 1 group to run away.

Either way, I think your doing fine and not over complicating it, atleast not yet anyway. I think everything is going fairly well.
Nomad
Nomad
Alliance Leader
Alliance Leader

Hipocracy
hy·poc·ri·sy
–noun, plural -sies.

1. a pretense of having a virtuous character, moral or religious beliefs or principles, etc., that one does not really possess.
2. the practice of professing standards, beliefs, etc, contrary to one's real character or actual behavior, esp the pretense of virtue and piety

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:07 pm

Nomad wrote:Presently farming is fairly useless to all but the biggest and newest players.
That's not really true, and i speak from experience here.

Nomad wrote:Most normal active players will train and build a military army therefore decreasing their income units. Id say 1K to 1500 on most accounts as soon as resources allowed. What that means is its more profitable to farm then sit on your own income.
They wont train 20-30% of their army into stuff that doesn't produce income, who'd ever want to do that anyway and still expect to remain at the top?
Besides you can never farm enough for you to be making more money than what you produce on your own, in other broken games that might work because you can basically farm as much as you want.

Nomad wrote:I may be wrong, just seems like with the limited AT here, that a larger start would have promoted some better growth but not allowed 1 group to run away.
Seriously it would make no difference. There's a game where everyone started with 1k or 5k army. You still got large and small players, and yes very few people are FAR above anyone else in size
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Halaryel Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:04 pm

well i have to admit that contrary to sgw (for the reference) we indeed train about 20% of army defense to protect income (low casualties and weapon repair compared to income produced), covert to protect from small snipers & sabbing ( because if somebody want to snipe without good covert&ac is just dead meat ) assassin because obviously there are not only offensive but defensive and a little attack because big attack is now foolish as most big income have extreme defenses. actually only 4-5k army size accoutn that have very large tech and defenses ca go small on the % (but i dont have a number maybe you could query the database and look for troop/army size ratio order by army size. )

i think average account are suffering from this situation, being pressured by big account with better techs is not very funny.... but it may require advanced stats and a poll to get the general feeling

oh and i am very against large AT. more or less at change nothing about the overall amount you are getting. while more AT give a bigger advantage to hardcore player and more pressure on smaller player. yet it is fine you have to think twice before using your AT.

Game is smart, just enough for intellect to come into play. sgw is just a matter of hardcore play.... it is easy when i was active in sgw i was making 10 to 30millions uu in a day ( raiding, selling uu for at rince and repeat) while in aderan i dont think it will ever be the like.

that good because it keep the flies out of the game, but can be bad because you are missing some casual player that can feel the gane to pressuring to play.

to conclude i have the feeling we will see a lot of mature talk on this forum contrary to some other games, and well be clean of most loudmouth that think skill is small defense + big attack + blackmail.

Halaryel
Aderan Farmer
Aderan Farmer

Number of posts : 81
Registration date : 2008-08-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Nomad Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:30 pm

Halaryel wrote:

to conclude i have the feeling we will see a lot of mature talk on this forum contrary to some other games, and well be clean of most loudmouth that think skill is small defense + big attack + blackmail.
cheers

I agree with most everything you just said but thats the best part.

@ Admin, I guess my problem is the limited player base. I can't increase my stike enough to take down the "big hits" for resources, and the average farming yeild is so low its not effective either. If I increase my income then I'm faced with 2 issues, 1 is they can be killed and as I'm not a 24/7 player thats not a happy option for me. 2 i become a farm.

But back to your original question, No I don't think your overcomplicating it. And you do have some nice unique features that stand you apart from others. We just need a larger player base and some more "wild gunz" so to speak. A war would be nice, but it will come in time. Very Happy
Nomad
Nomad
Alliance Leader
Alliance Leader

Hipocracy
hy·poc·ri·sy
–noun, plural -sies.

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:31 pm

with the playerbase everyone can do their part. invite a few people from their friend circles to play this game/do some recruiting on the net on some random forums

people don't play cos they don't know, if they knew they'd play and we'd have a large playerbase
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nomad Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:08 pm

Admin wrote:with the playerbase everyone can do their part. invite a few people from their friend circles to play this game/do some recruiting on the net on some random forums

people don't play cos they don't know, if they knew they'd play and we'd have a large playerbase

So very, very true mate.
Nomad
Nomad
Alliance Leader
Alliance Leader

Hipocracy
hy·poc·ri·sy
–noun, plural -sies.

Back to top Go down

Post by melonhead Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:39 pm

It would be great if there were little things you could do. when you have no turns. I love this game so far but It only takes up such a small amount of my time everyday... too little time lol
melonhead
melonhead
Aderan Worker
Aderan Worker

ID : Aspire
Number of posts : 132
Registration date : 2009-02-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:42 pm

melonhead wrote:It would be great if there were little things you could do. when you have no turns. I love this game so far but It only takes up such a small amount of my time everyday... too little time lol
Once trading is out you can spend more time attacking by buying Attack Turns from others

besides on other games you are able to attack unlimited times (if you buy the necesary attack turns). It is good as small players can increase their growth and catch up with large players if they spend the time. But it's bad for a number of other reasons, i'm trying to find a balance between those two
That's one thing that eats up a lot of players time.
The other two are forums and ingame politics. I've been involved in both on other games and trust me, even if you can spend hours farming and raiding, that's nothing compared to the time you can spend on these two Wink

I'll be adding more stuff in the months to come to give people something to do even if it doesn't involve destroying other people Very Happy
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by melonhead Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:18 pm

sounds cool, cant wait Very Happy
melonhead
melonhead
Aderan Worker
Aderan Worker

ID : Aspire
Number of posts : 132
Registration date : 2009-02-22

Back to top Go down

Post by ~tackless shadow~ Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:58 pm

your doing a good job i like it
~tackless shadow~
~tackless shadow~
Aderan Farmer
Aderan Farmer

ID : 1010
Alliance : DDA
Number of posts : 92
Registration date : 2009-03-18

Back to top Go down

Post by cjl Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:23 pm

your doing well with things you have added... nothing overly complicated yet it all adds to the strategy needed to play. Well Done.

cjl
Aderan Soldier
Aderan Soldier

Alliance : Hounds of War- Leader
Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2009-03-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down