Aderan Wars
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why we should not move to the new forum:

+4
Kenzu
Nomad
kingkongfan1
Admin
8 posters

Go down

What is your opinion of our current forum?

Why we should not move to the new forum: Vote_lcap0%Why we should not move to the new forum: Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Why we should not move to the new forum: Vote_lcap91%Why we should not move to the new forum: Vote_rcap 91% 
[ 10 ]
Why we should not move to the new forum: Vote_lcap9%Why we should not move to the new forum: Vote_rcap 9% 
[ 1 ]
Why we should not move to the new forum: Vote_lcap0%Why we should not move to the new forum: Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 11

Why we should not move to the new forum: Empty Re: Why we should not move to the new forum:

Post by Admin Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:13 pm

added some parts
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4363
Registration date : 2008-08-18

http://www.aderanwars.com

Back to top Go down

Why we should not move to the new forum: Empty Re: Why we should not move to the new forum:

Post by kingkongfan1 Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:42 pm

All I can say on this subject at this time is that if moving will get forums that are dedicated to the game I play (AW) only, then I vote to move, otherwise I really do not care anymore...

btw, I vote for option 6, to move to a set of forums dedicated to AW only... there are no other options satisfactory to me given above, so I have chosen not to vote in this poll...
kingkongfan1
kingkongfan1
Coalition Officer
Coalition Officer

ID : kingkongfan1(98)
Alliance : [The Marauder's Imperium]
Number of posts : 1387
Registration date : 2010-01-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:17 pm

clearly a poll where people could spam accounts with no verification will not be what will make the difference Smile

plus we already had a poll, most people voted in favor of moving
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nomad Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:28 pm

Then why does this one exist? no action was taken from the last one so I alng with a few others assumed the issue was dead.

To answer the question both forums have issues. As Kenzu stated having game a forums on the same server is a bad idea, That said these forums are some of the Drabest I have even seen. The color scheme is tasteless,,, everything about these forums are bland. The is not pazzaze, no spark.

Ultimately I like the fourms not on the same server as tha game, but if we keep these forums please do something with them. These forums fall short in many areas.

I would rather see a move to forums that are more alive and with better features since the game goes down so very little,,,, but agree haveing games and forums down at the same time is a very, very bad idea.
Nomad
Nomad
Alliance Leader
Alliance Leader

ID : WORD OF THE DAY
Hipocracy
hy·poc·ri·sy
Show Spelled[hi-pok-ruh-see]
–noun, plural -sies.

1. a pretense of having a virtuous character, moral or religious beliefs or principles, etc., that one does not really possess.
2. the practice of professing standards, beliefs, etc, contrary to one's real character or actual behavior, esp the pretense of virtue and piety
3. a pretense of having some desirable or publicly approved attitude.

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2008-12-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenzu Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:03 pm

Admin wrote:clearly a poll where people could spam accounts with no verification will not be what will make the difference Smile

plus we already had a poll, most people voted in favor of moving

Question is why should we move now, that 60% are in favour of moving, when initially most people were against it.
The poll was made back in november, last year most people were against it. The opinion has changed only this year, and it could have changed to due to anyone, including multies. The identities of the voters can't be checked. Would have been better if for example everyone casts a vote by sending a pm to admin if they want to move or not.

Also, at that time people didn't know that the forum we move to will have a worse pagerank.
Unless we manage to get 430.000 unique visitors to visit Aderan Wars page, we won't be able to compete with our forum here on forumotion.
forumotion has an Alexa rank of 3000. AW can't compete with that.

Nomad wrote:Then why does this one exist? no action was taken from the last one so I alng with a few others assumed the issue was dead.

To answer the question both forums have issues. As Kenzu stated having game a forums on the same server is a bad idea, That said these forums are some of the Drabest I have even seen. The color scheme is tasteless,,, everything about these forums are bland. The is not pazzaze, no spark.

Ultimately I like the fourms not on the same server as tha game, but if we keep these forums please do something with them. These forums fall short in many areas.

I would rather see a move to forums that are more alive and with better features since the game goes down so very little,,,, but agree haveing games and forums down at the same time is a very, very bad idea.

Changing forums will not make them "more alive". It's the users that make the forum alive, not the background color.
Kenzu
Kenzu
Alliance Leader
Alliance Leader

Number of posts : 3034
Registration date : 2008-12-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:33 pm

the background color helps make the forum look more attractive to a newcomer, and might become the difference between registering and starting to post and not bothering
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingofshinobis1 Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:57 pm

Admin wrote:the background color helps make the forum look more attractive to a newcomer, and might become the difference between registering and starting to post and not bothering

that is true. this forum is quite boring in its appearence

Kingofshinobis1
Aderan Super Soldier
Aderan Super Soldier

ID : 171
Alliance : The_Mercenary
Hire For Massings
Number of posts : 823
Registration date : 2010-01-31

Back to top Go down

Post by seaborgium Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:01 pm

woah, I almost lost my dinner.

seaborgium
2nd in Command
2nd in Command

Number of posts : 2551
Registration date : 2009-10-06

Back to top Go down

Post by kingkongfan1 Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:53 pm

woah,,, is this the new forums? or are we playing with the old ones? I kinda like it tho... sorry if this is spam...
kingkongfan1
kingkongfan1
Coalition Officer
Coalition Officer

ID : kingkongfan1(98)
Alliance : [The Marauder's Imperium]
Number of posts : 1387
Registration date : 2010-01-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:00 am

kingkongfan1 wrote:woah,,, is this the new forums? or are we playing with the old ones? I kinda like it tho... sorry if this is spam...
this is old forums, kenzu's playing around with the styles.
Yes we could have first tried to play with a temporary theme but that would have meant manually copying all the changes we've already made to the original
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenzu Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:16 am

Forum has been reverted to the old version. I will work on it tomorrow again.
Kenzu
Kenzu
Alliance Leader
Alliance Leader

Back to top Go down

Post by Nomad Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:30 am

Kenzu wrote:
Changing forums will not make them "more alive". It's the users that make the forum alive, not the background color.

That is your opinion, not fact, and not my opinion. If you dont want my opinion then stop asking for it.

Changing forums in and of itself will make little difference,,,, the abilities the forums allow will make all the difference in the world. Your right that the forum users make the forums, not the background, but if no one likes the background or the avalible features of the forum, or how the forums are operated and maintained then no one will use them or stay in them past what is necissary.

You do kinna have to "sell" forums as it is not a necassity for game play. No game that i have ever seen or played could pull 50% of the player base into forum activity. While I agree the Game is fairly well advanced, I maintain these forums are about as stone aged as I have seen with practically no improvements made since release.

Thats all I'm sayin.

I agree if this is going to be reviewed a new poll should be run and 6 month to a year old answers should not be used.
Nomad
Nomad
Alliance Leader
Alliance Leader

Hipocracy
hy·poc·ri·sy
–noun, plural -sies.

1. a pretense of having a virtuous character, moral or religious beliefs or principles, etc., that one does not really possess.
2. the practice of professing standards, beliefs, etc, contrary to one's real character or actual behavior, esp the pretense of virtue and piety

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenzu Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:28 pm

It's true that the forum hasn't changed much over the years.
Me and adming are exploring its possibilities right now.

One of the reasons why I believe the forum hasn't changed much for such a long time is simply because there wasn't much initiative if any from the players to improve it. But of course even if they don't say they want better forums it doesn't mean they won't be happy if the forums get improved.
Kenzu
Kenzu
Alliance Leader
Alliance Leader

Back to top Go down

Post by Nomad Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:13 am

Kenzu wrote:It's true that the forum hasn't changed much over the years.
Me and adming are exploring its possibilities right now.

One of the reasons why I believe the forum hasn't changed much for such a long time is simply because there wasn't much initiative if any from the players to improve it. But of course even if they don't say they want better forums it doesn't mean they won't be happy if the forums get improved.

I do not understand how you can say this when new forums were begged for by the player base? Well I take that back, Better forums were requested. New or upgrading these either one were fine, but to say "No Player Initiative" I honestly do not understand.

The original poll had a great deal of participation? So I do not understand your stance.

I feel like forums have not changed because the game was always put first. Then you were given Adminship over the forums to give Martin more time for the game. You didnt do any improvements and then your attention turned to your games, so basicly forums have not evolved because those who have the power to change forums have chosen not to, or to invest their time in other areas such as game improvements. All players can do is ask, if Admins will not act players hounding admins does not result in anything good, so players often give up.

You may veiw that as an insult but its not. Its how I as a player and forum user feel and I have made multiple and extensive attempts to evolve forums. I mean look at this thread and its outcome
https://aderanwars.forumotion.com/t1668-mods-for-forum
by Admin on Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:45 pm
9 players offered to help,,,,, not a single one allowed to, only you have been given any power or title in forums, and you have made no more attempts to better, change, or evolve forums then Admin has. 9 players ask or volenteer to help, and its given to someone who didnt ask or volenteer and who hasnt done much work on forums since. I'm not saying its your job, I'm just saying you have the power and athourity, we as players do not. When we see those who volenteer to help overlooked and someone who never volenteered awarded how is that suppose to be veiwed by the public?

*edit*
I overlooked a question you asked in the original post, what I would like to see from these or new forums.
1. customizeable options for themes, skins, and colors
2. a search feature that works
3. a real official forum warning system (more like what SGW has)
4. The ability to hide forums sections, considering we are looking at 4 or 5 games plus deviation server in the future, this will become more important
5. the ability to friend/foe forum users so if you find someone so repulsive, childish, moronic, or hipocritacal that you do not want to ever even see what he rights, you can do so.
6. someone who actually cares about the forums and those who use them running them, not someone dedicated to the games over the forums.

Thats a few to start, more specific suggestions could be made but all of them would be mute without these points being corrected first.

**Double Edit*

How about a game room? those have been very sussessful in some other forum communities. Kenzu, you could post some of those games you keep bringing up there along with the multitudes of the standard games. Gives people something to do when there is nothing going on in forums, might spart some competitions and more activities.
Nomad
Nomad
Alliance Leader
Alliance Leader

Hipocracy
hy·poc·ri·sy
–noun, plural -sies.

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:02 am

it's late so i'll go through the numbers only
1) well there's general themes, those can get installed
2) not possible here unless forumotion implements one, you can search topic titles, not post content
3) not possible here unless forumotion implements one
4) not possible here unless forumotion implements this
5) is possible and works as far as i know, profile -> friends and foes
6) not big of a list there
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenzu Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:16 am

@Nomad
Read your post, will talk to admin about it.

can you explain how the sgw warning system works?

Also, we got a game section, how is a "game room" different?
Kenzu
Kenzu
Alliance Leader
Alliance Leader

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingofshinobis1 Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:21 am

i believe by "game room" he meant actual games built into the forum. with leader boards so people have something other to do than read all the time.

Kingofshinobis1
Aderan Super Soldier
Aderan Super Soldier

ID : 171
Alliance : The_Mercenary
Hire For Massings
Number of posts : 823
Registration date : 2010-01-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:24 am

Kenzu wrote:@Nomad

The warning system on the other boards would make it much easier to see who has how many warnings, when they got them and for what reasons. Since it's a feature built into the forum
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nomad Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:13 am

Kenzu wrote:@Nomad

ok, I'm not sure I understand what you mean tho, but I'll read my post

I'll let martin explain it to you as he is familiar with it. It is a feature built into the forums, it keeps a history and notes section on the forums for accounts, it shows you an official message when warned or banned, it tells you what post you were warned/ banned for, what rule it broke, how many warnings you have, you can set a time on experations, basicly it has every concievable feature in the system,,,, but these forums do not support them

What I mean by a game room, is a section in forums with links to actual "time waster" games such as solitary, mine sweeper, angry birds, cow toss, beer pong, darts, etc, etc, etc. The DDE forums have over 350 games installed on them and we often have weekly or monthly gaming wars for high scores and everything else. We have the high scores for each game automaticly displayed and all kinds of stuff,,,,, Of course 1 thing you need to understand about DDE and SGW forums is they they both have a large % or forum user who do not even play the game. They are there for the forums. Its more about the community then about the game. Not saying AW forums needs to be the same,,, just saying anything to help get people here, and get people to spend more time here, is a good thing I would think.
Nomad
Nomad
Alliance Leader
Alliance Leader

Hipocracy
hy·poc·ri·sy
–noun, plural -sies.

Back to top Go down

Post by Manleva Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:56 am

Lords of Legends forum was much the same with a games board and leader tables as well as competitions. But also there was a wide variety of different boards that catered to all sorts of different interests ranging from current events, Creative writing, poetry, art, advice or just about anything that people found of interest. There was and still is a strong Role Playing area but there were also in forum games (I did note Jadefire tried to bring some of them here.

The game mechanics were quite different and being a reset game was also a factor but quite often there were games that involved both forum and ingame activity.

Yes there were still those who had to be warned and banned but as well as a game we had a community who enjoyed interacting with each other in many different ways. More than the game it was the forum that induced people to stay.

We were also blessed with very experienced Forum administrators and moderators and for those who think Admin here is to harsh the LOL forum was G Rated and it was strictly enforced with no arguing with Admin in side the forum at all.

Also the forum was not flash. It was a VBulletin forum but as far a Signatures went there were only 2 options, to display it or not display it because it was linked to the Game. People had the choice of 3 skins that they could apply as well. Noe that the game has gone there are a couple of more small features available to members but it was never the appearance that was important it was the content and community
Manleva
Manleva
Aderan Assassin
Aderan Assassin

ID : 999
Alliance : TMI
Number of posts : 659
Registration date : 2009-08-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Void Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:05 am

Voted option no. 2

Void
Aderan Worker
Aderan Worker

Number of posts : 130
Registration date : 2011-06-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down