Aderan Wars
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

next rd suggestions per Admin request

+5
Kenzu
melonhead
kingkongfan1
Admin
Nomad
9 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

next rd suggestions per Admin request - Page 2 Empty Re: next rd suggestions per Admin request

Post by Manleva Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:56 am

I'll try and clarify a bit more. As J1nx has already noted these ideas come from another game that we played and which unfortunately is no longer around. Some may be familiar with the community that were involved with that game, I know both Ian and LI visited the forums after a few of us made our way here.

Briefly the game was a reset game and players created a new player account / character each round. There were 3 or 4 AI players who had a small bank that was refilled every tick and acted as a source of income th start the game.

All players received a set amount of units every tick that was proportional to the size of the buildings you had researched (I may be slightly wrong here) in addition there was a pool of mercenaries from which additional units could be purchased. This pool was replenished each tick.

All units were military and all generated a fixed income per unit so there were no income only units. There was no raiding of units from other players so attacks were for money or war. There was a need to attack for money to be able to grow your account.

At's were accrued each tick the same as in AW but were capped at 999. When you reached 999 you received no more AT's and also your income per turn would start to decrease.

The war mechanics were configured so that you were initially protected and could not be attacked. This protection continued until such time as you won your first battle after this the only protection available was vacation mode. Additionally there was protection for small players from the large ones as you could only attack players that were between twice your size down to half your size. You could also only spend 50 AT on any other individual player in a 24 hour period.

There was a choice of races to play all with different attributes like here in AW but also well balanced.

The game originally was PvP but later became Clan (= AW's Alliances) based
Clan membership was limited to 30 members. To join a clan you were required to build and upgrade a specific type of building. The first level allowed you to join an existing Clan and upgrades allowed for the creation of your own clan and additional clan features.

Up to a set power you were able to change clan at will (providing they accepted you) after this set power your only option to change clan was to create your own clan which had to be done within one tick otherwise your account was reset. This prevented players jumping from one clan to another to create a super clan. ( from memory this was set at 40,000 power. As the winning target was 5 million power I am sure you can do the maths and see that to win took work)

The winning target was 5 million power which had to be exceeded when the database was checked which from memory was once every 10 minutes.

There was no trading between players.

The game attracted a wide range of people from 7 years old to over 70. There was all of the diplomacy and back stabbing you would expect and a very competitive environment. This was fostered by a very strong and active forum with the opportunity for individuals to play with many different styles and for many different reasons.

While I was playing the shortest round was about 2 1/2 months and the longest was around 6 months with the average being between 3 to 4 months. There were extremely active players who were out for the win but there were others who played for the enjoyment.

I have seen some very vicious wars and some very competitive wins with the winner having to make multiple attempts to win. I've seen others have wars over Rum and another where 1 clan called another a bunch of sissies, however these 2 clans never fought each other, instead they picked on a third clan.

Some of you may have guessed which game the ideas come from but for those who haven't it was Lord's of Legend. There are a few of us here and you will find us in a number of Alliances. Of those of us that came here the vast majority were very experienced and very good and most are still here. A couple have disappeared, one left for RL reasons and I left saying the game was to complicated ( That was very surprising as he had doctorates in physics and quantum mechanics).

The ideas I posted previously were features that I thought could be applied here taking into account the differences between the games. Here we are blessed with an Admin who is willing to discuss things with us to try and make things better and who is willing to put the effort in to keep things going. The owner of lords of Legend was similar in many ways and also listened to the players suggestions although he had an evil streak and would take those suggestions and twist them around and make little tweaks just to keep us all guessing.

One of the best things that stands out is that while the game has been gone for some time now the forum still exists and still has active members and many players who have left drop in from time to time. In many ways while it was the game that attracted players it was the community that that kept them.
Manleva
Manleva
Aderan Assassin
Aderan Assassin

ID : 999
Alliance : TMI
Number of posts : 659
Registration date : 2009-08-17

Back to top Go down

next rd suggestions per Admin request - Page 2 Empty Re: next rd suggestions per Admin request

Post by J1nx Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:29 am

if you build it, they will come Wink

J1nx
Aderan Worker
Aderan Worker

Number of posts : 143
Registration date : 2009-08-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Nomad Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:59 am

overall a very nice read.

couple of questions

1. if power level decided if you could leave an alliance or join one, can you not drop rank or be massed to be low enough to change alliances?

2. how many AT per turn? with the 999 limit?

3. you say there was a limit on AT on 1 person, but is there a limit for the day?

4. from question 3, if no limit exists what stops 1 player with alot of screentime from simply farming up all the AI income?

5. Did the AI accounts build defenses or just there for free income?

sounds like a good system tbh
Nomad
Nomad
Alliance Leader
Alliance Leader

ID : WORD OF THE DAY
Hipocracy
hy·poc·ri·sy
Show Spelled[hi-pok-ruh-see]
–noun, plural -sies.

1. a pretense of having a virtuous character, moral or religious beliefs or principles, etc., that one does not really possess.
2. the practice of professing standards, beliefs, etc, contrary to one's real character or actual behavior, esp the pretense of virtue and piety
3. a pretense of having some desirable or publicly approved attitude.

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2008-12-17

Back to top Go down

Post by J1nx Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:05 pm

question 1.... in this other reset game each time you successfully won an attack on someone or an attack on you u got experience, after a certain amount of experience u went up a level (just like any other rp game)... the limit for joining/leaving an alliance was lvl40, not 40,000 power as Manleva mentioned (since AW doesnt use an experience pt system then a certain power threshold would have to be the restricting factor so regarding getting massed to change alliances, another type of restriction could be placed instead)
question 2... 1 AT per turn (AT were the most valuable resource in the game... they couldnt be bought or traded so ur ranking depended on how well u used em)
question 3... 50 AT on each person per day (but 10 different people could use 50 AT each on one person (i.e. massings ))
question 4... there were only 4-5 ai accounts and the attack restriction of only being allowed to attack someone within double/half ur power meant that eventually u would no longer be able to hit those ai accounts... also, if u wanted to be high in the rankings the best way was to hunt, this involved being very active and watching for when someone made a lot of attacks and their cash skyrockets very quickly and u hit them before they spend thereby maximizing ur ATs... this was one of the most exciting aspects of the game in the beginning of each round
question 5... each ai account only started with the same amount of units that everyone started with and remained that way

J1nx
Aderan Worker
Aderan Worker

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenzu Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:33 pm

Sounds like a very good game, except for the bit that you needed to be extremely active. If it was around I would have tried it.
Kenzu
Kenzu
Alliance Leader
Alliance Leader

Number of posts : 3034
Registration date : 2008-12-03

Back to top Go down

Post by seaborgium Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:51 pm

Kenzu wrote:Sounds like a very good game, except for the bit that you needed to be extremely active. If it was around I would have tried it.
Thats called playing.
Logging in 2 times a day is called Sims.

seaborgium
2nd in Command
2nd in Command

Number of posts : 2551
Registration date : 2009-10-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Nomad Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:51 pm

Kenzu wrote:Sounds like a very good game, except for the bit that you needed to be extremely active. If it was around I would have tried it.

I may be totally wrong, but I always assumed that was the goal of having 3 games in this trilogy of games

1. Reset = fast pace, emphasis on high level of activity

2. Main = average steady pace = emphasis on strategy

3. AW2 = slower pace = Not sure the emphasis as of yet, game still in its infancy but definitely a slower pace
Nomad
Nomad
Alliance Leader
Alliance Leader

Hipocracy
hy·poc·ri·sy
–noun, plural -sies.

1. a pretense of having a virtuous character, moral or religious beliefs or principles, etc., that one does not really possess.
2. the practice of professing standards, beliefs, etc, contrary to one's real character or actual behavior, esp the pretense of virtue and piety

Back to top Go down

Post by Manleva Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:02 pm

Yes activity was a key component to the game but only for those who were interested in going after the win.

This is and always be one of the key components of any of these types of games and it will be a key factor in AWII as well

The restriction on who you could attack meant that the less active players did gain some protection from the more active which in turn would lead to mini games with the main game.

Not every one wants to be in first place all of the time and many of the better wars were fought by the less active players in the less powerful clans.

While we would see many of the same players in the top ranks the membership of many of the top clans would change from round to round which ensured that there different things happening all of the time and always made things interesting.

Above and beyond all it was a war game. You needed income to succeed and more often than not this meant you had to fight for it.

And J1nx is right. If you can get these sort of features into the reset games then players will come. Our community is still strong and while many of us have gone different ways to different games you will find that in most games we are tending to group together.

As yet we have found nothing comparable but we are still locking and as soon as someone finds the right game then the word will spread and many will come to play it.

Of course it they come here then quite a lot of them will band together which is only natural but this would not really last that long as most are more used to being enemies than friends.
Manleva
Manleva
Aderan Assassin
Aderan Assassin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nomad Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:52 pm

Manleva wrote:Yes activity was a key component to the game but only for those who were interested in going after the win.

This is and always be one of the key components of any of these types of games and it will be a key factor in AWII as well

The restriction on who you could attack meant that the less active players did gain some protection from the more active which in turn would lead to mini games with the main game.

Not every one wants to be in first place all of the time and many of the better wars were fought by the less active players in the less powerful clans.

While we would see many of the same players in the top ranks the membership of many of the top clans would change from round to round which ensured that there different things happening all of the time and always made things interesting.

Above and beyond all it was a war game. You needed income to succeed and more often than not this meant you had to fight for it.

And J1nx is right. If you can get these sort of features into the reset games then players will come. Our community is still strong and while many of us have gone different ways to different games you will find that in most games we are tending to group together.

As yet we have found nothing comparable but we are still locking and as soon as someone finds the right game then the word will spread and many will come to play it.

Of course it they come here then quite a lot of them will band together which is only natural but this would not really last that long as most are more used to being enemies than friends.

with a limit on alliance sizes that would be addressed would it not?

I do hope Admin will listen and atleast try some of these ideas. I think it stands as good a chance of drawing a bigger playerbase then some of the other ideas presented presently.
Nomad
Nomad
Alliance Leader
Alliance Leader

Hipocracy
hy·poc·ri·sy
–noun, plural -sies.

Back to top Go down

Post by Manleva Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:14 am

Nomad wrote:with a limit on alliance sizes that would be addressed would it not?

What does limiting Alliance sizes have to do with it. How many Alliances in TOC.

Limiting alliance sizes allows for more variety and competition.
Also unlikely friends can soon become enemies
Manleva
Manleva
Aderan Assassin
Aderan Assassin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nomad Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:48 am

While we would see many of the same players in the top ranks themembership of many of the top clans would change from round to roundwhich ensured that there different things happening all of the time andalways made things interesting.

why would they change clans? if they won they would stay with the winning team would they not?

what size player base did LoL have? and do you think a player base this size will react the same? Personally I think it would take more players and 2 or 3 rounds minimum to even start seeing that. All the most active and top players will join together to win until thats boring.

overall I'm still all for trying it out, I hope admin considers it.
Nomad
Nomad
Alliance Leader
Alliance Leader

Hipocracy
hy·poc·ri·sy
–noun, plural -sies.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenzu Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:31 am

Nomad wrote:

I may be totally wrong, but I always assumed that was the goal of having 3 games in this trilogy of games

3. AW2 = slower pace = Not sure the emphasis as of yet, game still in its infancy but definitely a slower pace

Funny thing is that AW2 will NOT be slower pace, but the game mechanics will be such that your frequency of logging in will not influence you being farmed AT ALL.
Of course if you do log in more frequently, you will find more suitable farms.
All that matters is your defense and your intimidation of opponents to refrain from farming you.
Kenzu
Kenzu
Alliance Leader
Alliance Leader

Number of posts : 3034
Registration date : 2008-12-03

Back to top Go down

Post by kingkongfan1 Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:39 am

Kenzu wrote:
Nomad wrote:

Funny thing is that AW2 will NOT be slower pace, but the game mechanics will be such that your frequency of logging in will not influence you being farmed AT ALL.
Of course if you do log in more frequently, you will find more suitable farms.
All that matters is your defense and your intimidation of opponents to refrain from farming you.

now you are contradicting yourself again, you said all a player needed to do is log in two times a day average of five minutes each login, if thats not a slower pace then someone please explain to me what is...
kingkongfan1
kingkongfan1
Coalition Officer
Coalition Officer

ID : kingkongfan1(98)
Alliance : [The Marauder's Imperium]
Number of posts : 1387
Registration date : 2010-01-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Nomad Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:30 am

IDK Kong, I have given up trying to understand kenzu and AWII. All the riddles have just become to much. Straight answers just don't exist so I'll just wait for launch, atleast then I can get straight answers from the game itself.
Nomad
Nomad
Alliance Leader
Alliance Leader

Hipocracy
hy·poc·ri·sy
–noun, plural -sies.

Back to top Go down

Post by Manleva Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:45 am

@ nomad - The player base was larger than AW currently has but as to more accurate figures that's not so easy to answer In the time that I played there were always enough active players to keep a balance between the top clans and apart from one round there were always multiple clans either competing for the top spot or close enough together to make it a contest.

The only exact figure available it from the forum which has a membership of over 21,000. Most of these would have played the game at some stage although like AW there was a period where there were a lot of multi accounts. The most ever members on the forum at one time was 386 which is higher than the number of registered members here.

With regard to changing clans you have to take into account that clan membership was limited to 30. Players over time formed friendships which was one reason for movement between clans. Strong clans would attract interest from new players which at times saw them split and then work together while other clans tended to keep a very strong and static membership.

There was a clan that specialized in teaching new players the game and another that offered their services as assassins. There was a Lazy Clan that used the 999 AT limit to allow them to play at a slower pace. A lot of the forum mods were in this clan but the vast majority of them were very experienced players and had been in the top rankings. Rather than leaving when they wanted a break from being extremely active they found another way to keep playing a game that they enjoyed.

It also needs to be remembered that we are only talking of a Reset game here and you can't really compare them to non reset games. Trying to take a style of play from a non reset game to a reset game won't really work if the reset game is going to be successful in the long term. Many of the processes used in non reset games for account growth don't work because you don't have the time to build without wars.

I have noted Kong making comments about not wanting his account to become a farm if he decides not to play but is some ways abandoned accounts are very necessary.

I suppose that it's really a different mindset that is required. knowing that if you join mid round you have a chance to learn the game and the start on an equal footing at the beginning of the next round is something that keeps new players. Likewise older players have the knowledge that if RL interferes with their plans for this round then there is always next round. For the competitive players there is the knowledge that a win will always be a win and it's an achievement that can never be taken away. Compare this to AW's main server where SA47's currently ranked No.1. If the game keeps running then as some time he will be replaced (it may take many years but he's not immortal Smile )
Manleva
Manleva
Aderan Assassin
Aderan Assassin

Back to top Go down

Post by J1nx Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:00 am

a game obviously cannot cater to everyone's desires but as Manleva mentioned, this other reset game allowed for many different playing styles which resulted in a large player base.
AW is obviously not this game, it has its own unique mechanics but hopefully those that develop and update these mechanics will really read into what has been said here... this other game was very successful and ran for 6 years, lessons can be learnt from it.
Also, an active player without SS nor 8 active officers, will never be able to keep up with someone with both of these... which is why the reset server should also disable both these features in my opinion to create competition. There will obviously be objection to this as those that are only able to log in twice a day want to have the ability to be high ranked as well...

J1nx
Aderan Worker
Aderan Worker

Back to top Go down

Post by Nomad Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:02 pm

Great points manleva and J1nx, and I agree with you both. The point I was trying to make is exactly the same as this.

It also needs to be remembered that we are only talking of a Reset gamehere and you can't really compare them to non reset games. Trying totake a style of play from a non reset game to a reset game won't reallywork if the reset game is going to be successful in the long term. Manyof the processes used in non reset games for account growth don't workbecause you don't have the time to build without wars.

But we have to gear it to our Reset server playerbase. 30 players in 1 alliance would see 90% or more in 1 alliance. So I would hope to see the alliance membership cut to 10, maybe even 5. Set it to a % of the players who log in daily or something. Meaning as the game grows the size of alliances grows as well.

You also help prove my point that in many, many cases people who prefer reset games don't care for non resetables, and those who prefer non resetables don't like resetables,,,, so why force someone to log into a game they don't like? make it so you can buy SS in reset and not have to go to main to do so.

I mean what happens if someone starts a AWII account as a race not featured in main? when they need SS they have to go to main and what race will they be? then if they pick up an interest for main, they have to change races as they have been forced into a race they didnt pick? See some of the issues?

Limited ties between the games is great, it is actually a great benifit to the players to buy SS in one game and get it in all of them. It shows administration is in the players corner as far as $$ is concerned, but many more of the ties are not needed and going to be hurtful. Those such as having to use main to buy SS for the other games, and having the ID#'s all tied together so if you mass someone in one game they get mad and mass you in another. Will also cause problems inner alliance as everyone will know your in another alliance in another game and such as that.

I hope administration will consider these points.

@ manleva and J1nx,,,,

The rounds did have subtle differences didnt they? or where they exactly the same round for round?
Nomad
Nomad
Alliance Leader
Alliance Leader

Hipocracy
hy·poc·ri·sy
–noun, plural -sies.

Back to top Go down

Post by Manleva Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:54 pm

There were always differences between rounds. The game was continually developing and as far as I am aware no two rounds were ever the same. Changes were implemented between rounds and only occasionally would anything be changed while a round was in progress.

Most changes to the game were subtle although at times completely new features would be added.

It also needs to be remembered that we had a larger player base and the players were a major contributing factor to the differences in the rounds.

Most players over time played different races as you chose your race at the beginning of each round and the mechanics and abilities of each race were slightly different.

The make up and aims of the clans also added variation. It was not always about winning, some times it was about not letting someone else win.

Manleva
Manleva
Aderan Assassin
Aderan Assassin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nomad Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:26 pm

The game sounds alot like Quantum. Thats how it was run.

the best part was unliked updates were removed after every round, or atleast adjusted. Also the "themes" changed alot as well. You might have dragons, or zombies, even had a gambling house in one. But other times the changes were very sutle, so much so that 2 rounds seems almost the same. Even old rounds that everyone loved were replayed at times.
Nomad
Nomad
Alliance Leader
Alliance Leader

Hipocracy
hy·poc·ri·sy
–noun, plural -sies.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2