Aderan Wars
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Inactives Defense level

5 posters

Go down

Inactives Defense level Empty Inactives Defense level

Post by Nomad Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:04 pm

With the update to allow 0 repairs for big strike when hitting 0 defense farms, can it, or would it be possible to add a new defense level, or adjust the existing ones to show the farm still has a 0 defense? I would conceed that for it to work we may need to kill all the covert agents, or need to be like 1000X the covert or something.

just a suggestion, may not be a good idea, may make it to easy. just suggesting it.
Nomad
Nomad
Alliance Leader
Alliance Leader

ID : WORD OF THE DAY
Hipocracy
hy·poc·ri·sy
Show Spelled[hi-pok-ruh-see]
–noun, plural -sies.

1. a pretense of having a virtuous character, moral or religious beliefs or principles, etc., that one does not really possess.
2. the practice of professing standards, beliefs, etc, contrary to one's real character or actual behavior, esp the pretense of virtue and piety
3. a pretense of having some desirable or publicly approved attitude.

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2008-12-17

Back to top Go down

Inactives Defense level Empty Re: Inactives Defense level

Post by Jiro Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:54 am

Being a medium sized player, I would not be a fan of a system where huge sized players are able to see the exact defense value of smaller players without spending the covert turn.
If defenses are absent however, and covert is way larger, I think this may make players target targets without defenses rather than players who actually bothered to mount a defense, even if it is a small one. It may even keep us from accidentally robbing starting players.
Besides, targeting an account way smaller than yourself may not be the most profitable for a player that is much more powerfull. (If you can invest 10 AT in getting a 100,000,000 return, why invest it in a 14,000,000 return?)

Jiro
Aderan Spy
Aderan Spy

Number of posts : 487
Registration date : 2009-09-24

http://www.aderanwars.eu

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:05 am

he wasn't asking to see exact defense, just to see if it was 0 Smile. it's a difference

On the other hand I'm ok with adding another level before low which is 0-40%.
New level would show 0-5%, and low 5-40%.

About robbing starting players, that's unlikely. A new player will hardly produce 20 mil between logins, so the chances of him becoming a target without having a defense are slim to none
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4363
Registration date : 2008-08-18

http://www.aderanwars.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Jiro Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:23 am

I know he wasn't asking to see exact defense, I just would not like it if it were to work that way. It was the only reason to oppose it I could think of.
I think Nomad was asking for something that made a distinction between 0 and non-zero. It's what I would like: a qualitative distinction between defended / not-defended.

Jiro
Aderan Spy
Aderan Spy

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:27 am

Jiro wrote:I know he wasn't asking to see exact defense, I just would not like it if it were to work that way. It was the only reason to oppose it I could think of.
I think Nomad was asking for something that made a distinction between 0 and non-zero. It's what I would like: a qualitative distinction between defended / not-defended.
not gonna happen

0-5% being grouped together is the most i might possibly agree upon
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jiro Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:56 am

Maybe silly question, but what does 5% stand for? 5% of what?

Jiro
Aderan Spy
Aderan Spy

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:15 am

Jiro wrote:Maybe silly question, but what does 5% stand for? 5% of what?
5% of your strike power. the defense level is an indication of the ratio of enemy defense to your strike, hover with your mouse of the text and it will list up all the levels and what values they stand for
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jiro Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:24 am

And from 0,2% and below, the attack would cause no damage to the attacker's weapons? Is that why you oppose having a category for 0?

Jiro
Aderan Spy
Aderan Spy

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:22 pm

Jiro wrote:And from 0,2% and below, the attack would cause no damage to the attacker's weapons? Is that why you oppose having a category for 0?
dont want to make it too easy to detect if someone has built a token def to screw up your massing plans while thinking your target is offline.
the defense level thingy is supposed to be a hint to give an advantage to farmers so they dont have to recon so much as I know from experience, covert turns are hard to come by if you farm active people and need to keep track of changing defs.

it was not meant to be a general replacement for the recon mission
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nomad Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:24 pm

its just that going from 1 weapon to a trained strike, if a farm builds a tolken defense it shows up the same. Defense level is "low". I was just asking for some way to identify a competely no existant defense.

Like I said, may make it to easy, but I had to ask anyway.
Nomad
Nomad
Alliance Leader
Alliance Leader

Hipocracy
hy·poc·ri·sy
–noun, plural -sies.

1. a pretense of having a virtuous character, moral or religious beliefs or principles, etc., that one does not really possess.
2. the practice of professing standards, beliefs, etc, contrary to one's real character or actual behavior, esp the pretense of virtue and piety

Back to top Go down

Post by Jiro Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:34 pm

I am sorry if I seem a bit dense, but I still cannot get my head around it. What are you trying to prevent? If you want to prevent people from identifying a token defence, adding a "super low" category would be the last thing you'd want to do. If however someone wants to avoid accidentally farming people with a defence, the "super low" category does not provide enough information.
So in this scenario, I see Nomad spending covert turns on finding out whether the player is completely defenceless or just inadequately defended. Apparently he cares. Not a bad thing.
On the other hand, if it is because you want to avoid repeatedly farming active players (defined as players with a defence), you could just as well mark them with Peace once you find out from your strike that he/she was unarmed.

Jiro
Aderan Spy
Aderan Spy

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:14 am

Jiro wrote:I am sorry if I seem a bit dense, but I still cannot get my head around it. What are you trying to prevent?
get into a war a few times once you got some experience and you might understand.

when someone is doing various offensive missions at you then suddenly making your defense jump and making sure they notice it too late, i.e. after they just attacked you 20 times in the last 15 secs each time failing miserably is a very often used tactic which can cause significant damage to the masster, and that's hardly possible if there is an instant indicator of it happening without having the attacker to waste precious covert turns.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nomad Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:11 am

You are correct Admin, suggestion withdrawn as I belive Admins point far outways the suggestion.
Nomad
Nomad
Alliance Leader
Alliance Leader

Hipocracy
hy·poc·ri·sy
–noun, plural -sies.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jiro Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:39 am

Actually, I understand now that you've explained. I was thinking of farming and maybe a "friendly" mass to punish someone, not of an all out war. Thanks for your patience and time.

Jiro
Aderan Spy
Aderan Spy

Back to top Go down

Post by Survivor Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:14 am

rofl... you'd better not friendly mass anyone Smile

Survivor
Aderan Worker
Aderan Worker

Number of posts : 108
Registration date : 2009-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post by rflash Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:38 am

Jiro wrote:Actually, I understand now that you've explained. I was thinking of farming and maybe a "friendly" mass to punish someone, not of an all out war. Thanks for your patience and time.

How about YOU get at the receiving end of a "freindly" mass ..... let's see how happy you'll be Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

rflash
Aderan Miner
Aderan Miner

Number of posts : 205
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Nomad Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:19 pm

Well this is odd

Defense level: Zero

ZERO means that the enemy has no armed defensive units

Why the change admin? I thought we agreed on this

when someone is doing various offensive missions at you then suddenly making your defense jump and making sure they notice it too late, i.e. after they just attacked you 20 times in the last 15 secs each time failing miserably is a very often used tactic which can cause significant damage to the masster, and that's hardly possible if there is an instant indicator of it happening without having the attacker to waste precious covert turns.
Nomad
Nomad
Alliance Leader
Alliance Leader

Hipocracy
hy·poc·ri·sy
–noun, plural -sies.

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:27 pm

tbh I dont know when it happened Smile

i'll look at the implications of this considering the recent updates
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nomad Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:19 pm

Well if you make it not update immediately, then all is solved Wink
Nomad
Nomad
Alliance Leader
Alliance Leader

Hipocracy
hy·poc·ri·sy
–noun, plural -sies.

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:30 pm

there's nothing to update, the text is fetched when you open the page, cos DL is taken relative to your strike, zero or not
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nomad Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:49 pm

I think I understand.

I was just saying make it so it only updates 1 time per turn or something, but yeah your right.
Nomad
Nomad
Alliance Leader
Alliance Leader

Hipocracy
hy·poc·ri·sy
–noun, plural -sies.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down