Aderan Wars
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

News "API"

+6
Lucien Lachance
Magnus
Nomad
Kenzu
seaborgium
pxn
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

News "API" - Page 2 Empty Re: News "API"

Post by Nigatsu_Aka Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:13 pm

My question is how will this improve the game and what is the utility of this?

- will it bring new players? less probable... since it adresses only to a few players
- will it help everyone?... i don't think so, in the way you presented it so far... therefore it should not be even bothered to be coded
- will it make the game easyer to understand?
- will it make the game safer?... i think this will represent an important security problem when the game will grow

In my opinion, this suggestion will not improve my game play and it would be a waste of time to be implemented... time that could be used for coding the Airforce and the other things....
Nigatsu_Aka
Nigatsu_Aka
Aderan Assassin
Aderan Assassin

ID : I no longer have an account. Taking a break.
Number of posts : 526
Registration date : 2009-01-19

Back to top Go down

Post by pxn Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:31 am

correct.. it would probably take some time to code, although most stuff is probably there already for the alliance-log.. it would still require quite a bit of work..

- will it bring new players? less probable... since it adresses only to a few players
nope, doubt many suggestions that doesnt have anything to do with advertising ever will

- will it help everyone?... i don't think so, in the way you presented it so far... therefore it should not be even bothered to be coded
considering the majority of people that have posted here doesn't want a public newsfeed for all hits, i'd have to say nope on this one too.. since i or anyone else would only be able to code for the API-keys we had, meaning any statistics we'd be able to create would be for their own alliance

- will it make the game easyer to understand?
nope

- will it make the game safer?... i think this will represent an important security problem when the game will grow
won't make it safer, can't in any way come up with a way it would make it less safe.. about the same security as someone hacking an alliance leaders password

what it might be able to do is get some creative minds working on supplementary tools for the game.. it's worked quite well for some games.. and i'm guessing a few of you are using Seaborgiums site.. can't say i can see the harm in getting more community sites

pxn
Mercenary
Mercenary

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2009-01-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Nomad Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:35 am

ok, I'm seeing multiple ideas getting tossed around, so I'll clarify the ones I see and my opinions on them.

1. Alliance logs, meaning the alliance has access to them.
I like this idea and asked for it but got a no from admin. It can be time delayed, and if done as PXN explained with charts and graphs I think it would be awesome.

2. open for all to see
I do not like, for reasons expressed before

3. As Ragnarok said it, I'm ok with that for the most part all save 1 issue. If an alliance mate sees it, he can react to the attacker immediately, and thats whats not a good idea and I dont want to see.
Nomad
Nomad
Alliance Leader
Alliance Leader

ID : WORD OF THE DAY
Hipocracy
hy·poc·ri·sy
Show Spelled[hi-pok-ruh-see]
–noun, plural -sies.

1. a pretense of having a virtuous character, moral or religious beliefs or principles, etc., that one does not really possess.
2. the practice of professing standards, beliefs, etc, contrary to one's real character or actual behavior, esp the pretense of virtue and piety
3. a pretense of having some desirable or publicly approved attitude.

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2008-12-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenzu Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:07 am

Are we not talking about something like Aderan Wars chat OR Alliance chat on somewhere ingame?
Kenzu
Kenzu
Alliance Leader
Alliance Leader

Number of posts : 3034
Registration date : 2008-12-03

Back to top Go down

Post by seaborgium Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:37 am

eh no, notice the News API title, not Chat title.

seaborgium
2nd in Command
2nd in Command

Number of posts : 2551
Registration date : 2009-10-06

Back to top Go down

Post by kingkongfan1 Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:17 pm

seaborgium wrote:Currently that is correct. With the API thing I am talking about, it would still be the same. Cept for, others in the alliance could see it, as long as it is logged somewhere. If no one is logging it then again noone would see it.

Thank you for clearing things up for me; now as I understand it so far, I have no issue with the alliance having the this, but I still do not want it made public... king
kingkongfan1
kingkongfan1
Coalition Officer
Coalition Officer

ID : kingkongfan1(98)
Alliance : [The Marauder's Imperium]
Number of posts : 1387
Registration date : 2010-01-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Magnus Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:04 pm

seaborgium wrote:eh no, notice the News API title, not Chat title.

lmfao oh my god, reading would help

I have read the thread a little more and understand what is going on. I do not believe that the players names should be displayed. It should stay with a simple how many attacks and numbers won or lost.
The danger of people who where attacked and noticed as having low def and then farmed would be high I think.
It should stay just with plain numbers.
Magnus
Magnus
Aderan Miner
Aderan Miner

ID : 43
Number of posts : 312
Registration date : 2009-04-22

Back to top Go down

Post by seaborgium Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:08 pm

How would it be a problem?
What we are talking are alliance news logs...
The only thing I can think of is that people don't want to lose there nice farms.

seaborgium
2nd in Command
2nd in Command

Back to top Go down

Post by Magnus Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:30 pm

seaborgium wrote:How would it be a problem?
What we are talking are alliance news logs...
The only thing I can think of is that people don't want to lose there nice farms.

Well look at it this way. Lets say the player is seen and gets hit a bunch more often. Then players spy this player and sees he has a low def. With a lot of players do this, this person gets farmed more. I am talking about a open Newsletter that the whole player base can see.
Magnus
Magnus
Aderan Miner
Aderan Miner

ID : 43
Number of posts : 312
Registration date : 2009-04-22

Back to top Go down

Post by ¤ Angel Slayer Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:03 pm

People shouldn't have to worry about losing their farm and raid lists to others,
if you make hits public then it's only fair to make assassin hits and saabs public and every other kind of hit public, so lets throw out our covert for its now useless,
before you assassinate anyone, be prepared to be massed cause now everyone knows your the one that did it, smaller accounts that are struggling cause their being farmed can just quit the game, cause now more people will be farming them,
want to improve the game, make a alliance log so alliance members can see their alliance hits , and take the delay out, let them see the hits as they happen, what good is being in an alliance if you can't protect one another, my opinion, don't be in any alliances until they make alliance logs and where hits are seen the second they are made , seen by all alliance members, stop the war and have no wars until they remove these stupid supply turns, stop playing a lame way or it will never get better.
¤ Angel Slayer
¤ Angel Slayer
Aderan Farmer
Aderan Farmer

ID : 482
Alliance : [ World_Republic_(O) ]
Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2009-10-21

http://world-republic.forumotion.com/forum.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by pxn Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:54 pm

I guess there could be 2 news feeds..

a) one for all hits, but this will only show:
Alliancename hit Alliancename killing X units and loosing X while stealing XX kuwal

for example:
POHIDA hit Black Watch III killing 1000 Soldiers and loosing 2400 Soldiers while stealing 850,000,000 Kuwal

if someone without an alliance hits someone it would say "An allianceless person" or something.. this way it would still be useful for calculating stats for wars.

b) one that will show the correct news, but will only display news for your alliance
this would then be useful for making alliance specific stats

once again.. I have said this before and I'll say it again.. if only the alliance leaders gets the API-key and can change it.. then each alliances leaders can decide who would make the site and what stats to show.. if one alliance wants to show all the hits that are being made on this site, then that's up to them.. if they only want to show certain parts of the newsfeed to other members, then whoever codes it can choose to do so..

pxn
Mercenary
Mercenary

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucien Lachance Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:21 pm

pxn wrote:I guess there could be 2 news feeds..

a) one for all hits, but this will only show:
Alliancename hit Alliancename killing X units and loosing X while stealing XX kuwal

for example:
POHIDA hit Black Watch III killing 1000 Soldiers and loosing 2400 Soldiers while stealing 850,000,000 Kuwal

if someone without an alliance hits someone it would say "An allianceless person" or something.. this way it would still be useful for calculating stats for wars.

b) one that will show the correct news, but will only display news for your alliance
this would then be useful for making alliance specific stats

once again.. I have said this before and I'll say it again.. if only the alliance leaders gets the API-key and can change it.. then each alliances leaders can decide who would make the site and what stats to show.. if one alliance wants to show all the hits that are being made on this site, then that's up to them.. if they only want to show certain parts of the newsfeed to other members, then whoever codes it can choose to do so..

i would suggest POHIDA hit BLACK WATCH III and leave it at that, we dont need to know what or how much was taken... as for covert appearing, have that set up the same way as if your recon or assasination/ sabbing goes wrong, only then should it show up, would add a new level to sab attacks etc making the repercussions of failed attempts possibly more severe.....

Lucien Lachance
Aderan Worker
Aderan Worker

Alliance : The Dark Brotherhood,
Cheydinhal Sanctuary,
Cyrodil
Number of posts : 149
Registration date : 2009-04-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Manleva Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:46 am

I'm sorry but I still see no reason for an API so that information can be available for use as a news feed somewhere external to the game or this forum.

There are two concerns in the suggestions, the first being that someone would have to do the coding for the alliance. Those alliances without sites would be forced to set one up to take advantage also they would need someone to code it and again if they don't have someone who can do this then they will also miss out.

The second concern it that by giving alliance leaders or forum administrators the ability to specify who can see the information you are going to be allowing information to be displayed externally that cannot be seen in the game it's self.

Now I have to admit that I would like to see some changes and a ticker running across the top of the game screens showing that some action was happening would be interesting even if it only said Strike made, Raid made, Assassination made etc.

As for details of Strikes, Raids etc. then simply make the Attack Logs visible to all alliance members then if they are interested they can go and look at them while they are online.

The only time I would expect to see any information being displayed outside of the game would be if Admin wanted to display it on the AW forum. And that could also be an idea to help to increase participation in the AW Forum ie Here
Manleva
Manleva
Aderan Assassin
Aderan Assassin

ID : 999
Alliance : TMI
Number of posts : 659
Registration date : 2009-08-17

Back to top Go down

Post by seaborgium Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:06 am

Well, Every concern you just put up, is already being done in TIE.
I have yet to hear any concern from anyone.

seaborgium
2nd in Command
2nd in Command

Back to top Go down

Post by pxn Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:35 pm

i would suggest POHIDA hit BLACK WATCH III and leave it at that, we dont need to know what or how much was taken... as for covert appearing, have that set up the same way as if your recon or assasination/ sabbing goes wrong, only then should it show up, would add a new level to sab attacks etc making the repercussions of failed attempts possibly more severe.....

That would kinda defeat the whole purpose of the newsfeed, since the idea was for it to make it possible to create war/raid/farming statistics

There are two concerns in the suggestions, the first being that someone would have to do the coding for the alliance. Those alliances without sites would be forced to set one up to take advantage also they would need someone to code it and again if they don't have someone who can do this then they will also miss out.

True, but if you dont even have a site, then communication and everything else is pretty limited and I doubt that communication works without a site for any alliance above 10 members.

Besides, I'd be more than willing to open up the site for anyones use.. the issue would be if anyone would trust me enough with their API-codes.

--
I find it pretty funny that people find their War Records so fun to check and compare and yet everyone seems to hate more general statistics at the same time..

Guess the main reason me and Seaborgium is argumenting for it is because we've actually played the other game and understand what it's all about. Having competitions in the alliance for most hits made/most kuwal stolen etc etc.. Lots of things to keep activity up, it can all be done today too, but would require someone to go through hundreds and hundreds of hits manually to add them up. Something you might do once a month at the most.

pxn
Mercenary
Mercenary

Back to top Go down

Post by ¤ Angel Slayer Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:33 am

pxn wrote:

That would kinda defeat the whole purpose of the newsfeed, since the idea was for it to make it possible to create war/raid/farming statistics

That might defeat your purpose, but it doesn't mine or anyone else's that doesn't want this.

True, but if you dont even have a site, then communication and everything else is pretty limited and I doubt that communication works without a site for any alliance above 10 members.

Besides, I'd be more than willing to open up the site for anyones use.. the issue would be if anyone would trust me enough with their API-codes.

Trust you? LMAO

--
I find it pretty funny that people find their War Records so fun to check and compare and yet everyone seems to hate more general statistics at the same time..

I find it funny that alot of people don't find their War Records so fun to check and compare.

Guess the main reason me and Seaborgium is argumenting for it is because we've actually played the other game and understand what it's all about. Having competitions in the alliance for most hits made/most kuwal stolen etc etc.. Lots of things to keep activity up, it can all be done today too, but would require someone to go through hundreds and hundreds of hits manually to add them up. Something you might do once a month at the most.

Then keep playing the other game and be happy.

Another note, if a person not in a alliance hits a inactive alliance member, and it's seen, that person would be targeted and destroyed.
¤ Angel Slayer
¤ Angel Slayer
Aderan Farmer
Aderan Farmer

ID : 482
Alliance : [ World_Republic_(O) ]
Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2009-10-21

http://world-republic.forumotion.com/forum.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by seaborgium Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:48 pm

That can happen now.....Just 4 hours later.

seaborgium
2nd in Command
2nd in Command

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2