Aderan Wars
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is this true?

+5
Hai-Shulud
Haggis
Sandwalker
Survivor
Nomad
9 posters

Go down

Is this true? Empty Is this true?

Post by Nomad Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:54 pm

Survivor wrote:I think I know the reason why WR has too many players. Well, I just happened to recruit two of my friends to the game. I was with them when they signed up so that I could help them get started. Now, what did I see in BOTH of their inbox. A message from Keinutnai ( If I remember correctly some quick start guides ) . Maybe it's auto generated and sent to all new players coz even if your online and on the hunt for new players you wouldn't be able to send a messege the moment they sign up Very Happy. Now, whom do you think those new players will contact for any questions?... right its him and then they get drawn into WR.

So well, that's solely what I think. Maybe admin could change it so that the message is sent from his account.

Other than that: WR, choose wisely as your future depends on your decision

Does Kenzu have the means to message every new player with his name?

and if its so, why? should it not come from admin himself?
Nomad
Nomad
Alliance Leader
Alliance Leader

ID : WORD OF THE DAY
Hipocracy
hy·poc·ri·sy
Show Spelled[hi-pok-ruh-see]
–noun, plural -sies.

1. a pretense of having a virtuous character, moral or religious beliefs or principles, etc., that one does not really possess.
2. the practice of professing standards, beliefs, etc, contrary to one's real character or actual behavior, esp the pretense of virtue and piety
3. a pretense of having some desirable or publicly approved attitude.

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2008-12-17

Back to top Go down

Is this true? Empty Re: Is this true?

Post by Survivor Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:14 pm

well since I'm the one who said this I'd like to ask the same questions Nomad asked?
Actually, I'm glad this caught someones attention

Survivor
Aderan Worker
Aderan Worker

Number of posts : 108
Registration date : 2009-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Nomad Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:22 pm

I have known they were brothers from the start. I don't have a problem with it as I trust admin doesnt show him favor. Infact they often disagree.

BUT

If its true I don't think that it should be. I'm all for sending the messages that help explain things, but they should come from admins account.

Now if Kenzu is doing it manually, then there is nothing wrong with it, but if he has a script to send them automaticly then I do have an issue with it.
Nomad
Nomad
Alliance Leader
Alliance Leader

Hipocracy
hy·poc·ri·sy
–noun, plural -sies.

1. a pretense of having a virtuous character, moral or religious beliefs or principles, etc., that one does not really possess.
2. the practice of professing standards, beliefs, etc, contrary to one's real character or actual behavior, esp the pretense of virtue and piety

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandwalker Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:46 pm

Admin wrote:the "best" thing I'll agree to is that whoever wants to apply for this can tell me and the "originators" of these pm's will rotate.

I'd like to do that. Wouldn't mind helping newbies out.

Sandwalker
Aderan Super Soldier
Aderan Super Soldier

Number of posts : 750
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Haggis Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:10 pm

I think its a good idea having it come from an active account, but it seems slightly biased for it to come from an alliance leader. new members will be more inclined to join WR because of these messages.

my suggestion would be still for it to come from kenzu, or whoever wants to do it, but within the message it say it has been created automatically and not actually sent by kenzu, but feel free to reply to him.

Haggis
Aderan Soldier
Aderan Soldier

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2009-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Nomad Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:34 pm

I never meant you and him disagree, just that you do not blindly listen to him and put him under the same scutiny as everyone else.

I will also volenteer for a turn in the rotation, and dont mind it staying as it is with the above mentioned reference
my suggestion would be still for it to come from kenzu, or whoever wants to do it, but within the message it say it has been created automatically and not actually sent by kenzu, but feel free to reply to him.

Now despite there possibly being issues about Kenzu being the sole person that these pm's are "coming" from, I'm strongly in favor of keeping this (believe it or not, he does actually have useful suggestions every now and then and most of them you wont even see a thread about), so the "best" thing I'll agree to is that whoever wants to apply for this can tell me and the "originators" of these pm's will rotate.

I never said Kenzu didnt have good ideas from time to time, I actually agree with one of his suggestions in the suggestion section right now, But even you can not denie the advantage this gives Kenzu in recruiting.
Nomad
Nomad
Alliance Leader
Alliance Leader

Hipocracy
hy·poc·ri·sy
–noun, plural -sies.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hai-Shulud Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:50 pm

Well in my personal opinion this is an enormous advantage to WR as they always establish fist contact with any new active players. I think the effects of this are clear right now with the majority of later arrivals on dune being in WR.

I suggest the message comes from Admin but that on the message at the end there is a statement along the lines of -

"If you have any questions feel free to send a message to any one of the following people ( names of people who volunteer )"

I presume by simple statistical probabilities the spread of inquires will be even across all people and so there wont be any advantages to anyone
Hai-Shulud
Hai-Shulud
Aderan Miner
Aderan Miner

Alliance : The Crusaders
Number of posts : 226
Registration date : 2009-07-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Nomad Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:04 pm

Hai-Shulud wrote:
"If you have any questions feel free to send a message to any one of the following people ( names of people who volunteer )"

I presume by simple statistical probabilities the spread of inquires will be even across all people and so there wont be any advantages to anyone

problem with that is human laziness, whatever name is first on the list will get more replies. unless you make 4 or 5 random messages with the names mixed, your not gaining any ground.
Nomad
Nomad
Alliance Leader
Alliance Leader

Hipocracy
hy·poc·ri·sy
–noun, plural -sies.

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:11 pm

Nomad wrote:problem with that is human laziness, whatever name is first on the list will get more replies. unless you make 4 or 5 random messages with the names mixed, your not gaining any ground.
No you guys are thinking way too primitively Smile

Let's pretend we have a list of 6 people. Then when someone registers, the first ID will send him that pm, when the next person registers then the second ID will send the pm, etc.
Seriously that's what I'd do anyway

edit:
https://aderanwars.forumotion.com/general-discussion-f1/who-wants-to-be-put-on-the-list-t836.htm#6919

^ this ^
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4363
Registration date : 2008-08-18

http://www.aderanwars.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenzu Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:00 pm

actually at the time when it got embedded to the code, WR had already like 90 members.

You can raise the growth of active members by inviting new ones as soon as they register and teaching them the game.
Kenzu
Kenzu
Alliance Leader
Alliance Leader

Number of posts : 3034
Registration date : 2008-12-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Nomad Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:22 pm

No one is disputing that Kenzu, but having a code inbedded in the game which points every new account to you is not right, no matter how you try to spin it.

Now as I have said before and will say again, what you do is a great thing and I'm glad your willing to do it and have time to do it.
Nomad
Nomad
Alliance Leader
Alliance Leader

Hipocracy
hy·poc·ri·sy
–noun, plural -sies.

Back to top Go down

Post by austin5650 Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:49 pm

I know this is a little old, but how about instead of a random list ID pm thing...

how about just make new members to the AW publicly displayed on our main base "player1 has joined the realm 10:33 GMT 22 NOV 2010 "

So everyone gets a fair piece of the pie.( who is to say the first player to join the game is going to play it once then leave and never play, then the next player becomes highly active)

This way the new player could be introduced by several people, be given pointers from multiple perspectives and is given the choice to decide who and what is best for the himself/herself.

Please if anyone reads this tell me what you think of that. I'm very curious.
austin5650
austin5650
Aderan Worker
Aderan Worker

ID : 4529
Alliance : The Guild
Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2010-10-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:58 pm

austin5650 wrote:I know this is a little old, but how about instead of a random list ID pm thing...

how about just make new members to the AW publicly displayed on our main base "player1 has joined the realm 10:33 GMT 22 NOV 2010 "

So everyone gets a fair piece of the pie.( who is to say the first player to join the game is going to play it once then leave and never play, then the next player becomes highly active)

This way the new player could be introduced by several people, be given pointers from multiple perspectives and is given the choice to decide who and what is best for the himself/herself.

Please if anyone reads this tell me what you think of that. I'm very curious.
there's is a link on the top part of each page "new players"
displays users by descending ID, so you can see who registered lately and send them a message easily
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4363
Registration date : 2008-08-18

http://www.aderanwars.com

Back to top Go down

Post by buhcoreTheGreat Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:12 am

my outbox is also filled with "First Advice" messages. I remember 2 or 3 players that messaged me and i tried to do my best to help however i never knew why did they contact me in the first place. Makes sense now Smile
buhcoreTheGreat
buhcoreTheGreat
Aderan Miner
Aderan Miner

ID :
What's crackin' ?
Who ya mackin' ?
Whatcha doin' ?
Who ya screwin' ?
Whatcha drinkin ?
Whatcha thinkin' ?

Number of posts : 340