Aderan Wars
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Messagebox

4 posters

Go down

Messagebox Empty Messagebox

Post by Kenzu Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:54 pm

An update will bring a messagebox, which will improve communication between players.
There will be a golbal messagebox, and one for alliance members of each alliance.
Additionally any player can create a public or secret guild, where messages can be posted for communication.

It won't be chat, more like a simple thread per messagebox/guild with players posting and interacting.
Kenzu
Kenzu
Alliance Leader
Alliance Leader

Number of posts : 3034
Registration date : 2008-12-03

Back to top Go down

Messagebox Empty Re: Messagebox

Post by Manleva Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:15 pm

Sounds interesting.

Can we get an update to the PM system as well.

I would like to see all players have the ability to send to their entire alliance and also for players to have the ability to send PM's to multiple recipients.
Manleva
Manleva
Aderan Assassin
Aderan Assassin

ID : 999
Alliance : TMI
Number of posts : 659
Registration date : 2009-08-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenzu Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:46 pm

Sounds like a good idea. Shouldn't be a problem to code.

however, how to prevent a player to spam too much?
Someone could just register, join an alliance and spam the mailbox.

Of course someone who spams to much can be simply expelled from the alliance.

The PM system could be expanded to be able to send messages across an empire for example, but for that empires as real entities must be coded first.
Kenzu
Kenzu
Alliance Leader
Alliance Leader

Back to top Go down

Post by Manleva Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:20 am

Kenzu wrote:Sounds like a good idea. Shouldn't be a problem to code.

however, how to prevent a player to spam too much?
Someone could just register, join an alliance and spam the mailbox.

My suggestion was not actually related to the Message Box but to improving the current PM System. I assumed that your Message Box was going to be open to all players so your Spam concern is valid and from your description of the message box anyone would actually be able to Spam the Global Message box, Their Alliances Message box and any other one that are invited into.

My suggestion is to update the current PM System and allow all alliance members to PM the whole alliance.
In addition to this I would like to be able to PM more than 1 other player at a time and by Name not ID.
i.e. Developing it into an ingame mail system

eg Send To: Fred; Bob; Tom or a checkbox for Alliance

To do this currently you have to locate the player then open the PM box type the PM and send it, then go through the whole process again to send the same message to another player. (Of Course most players would use copy & paste for the message body but it is still a time consuming process)

I would also expect to see limits on Inbox, Outbox & Save box sizes to keep the database size in check

Of course someone who spams to much can be simply expelled from the alliance.

The PM system could be expanded to be able to send messages across an empire for example, but for that empires as real entities must be coded first.

I also agree with this however I would restrict Empire messaging to the Alliance Leadership only and exclude any option for Empire Leadership to message the whole empire membership. Alliance leaders should be able to forward Empire messages on to their own alliance members
Manleva
Manleva
Aderan Assassin
Aderan Assassin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenzu Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:39 am

I understood and welcome your PM improvement suggestion

Regarding Empire messaging.
I dont see a reason in Empire messaging if it sends messages to alliance leaders only. Then I might as well send it to the 1 or 2 leaders personally.
Kenzu
Kenzu
Alliance Leader
Alliance Leader

Back to top Go down

Post by Special Agent 47 Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:43 am

Your thinking so small again Kenzu. You don't see very far down the road do you?

I think it will be months, and more rounds before Empires need be addressed, but Manleva has a good point. If the game ever takes off you can literally see 5, 10, even 15 or more alliances in an Empire. I think at one time SGW has 26 alliances all under one banner. So think big, and look 2 or 3 years into the future Kenzu.
Special Agent 47
Special Agent 47
Aderan Assassin
Aderan Assassin

ID : http://www.aderanwars.com/stats.php?id=427
Alliance : [ The_Marauders ]
Number of posts : 556
Registration date : 2009-08-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenzu Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:02 am

Special Agent 47 wrote:Your thinking so small again Kenzu. You don't see very far down the road do you?

I think it will be months, and more rounds before Empires need be addressed, but Manleva has a good point. If the game ever takes off you can literally see 5, 10, even 15 or more alliances in an Empire. I think at one time SGW has 26 alliances all under one banner. So think big, and look 2 or 3 years into the future Kenzu.

You should learn how to write posts that aren't offensive to the reader, otherwise you are wasting your time if you are waiting for a reply.
Kenzu
Kenzu
Alliance Leader
Alliance Leader

Back to top Go down

Post by Special Agent 47 Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:08 am

Kenzu wrote:
Special Agent 47 wrote:Your thinking so small again Kenzu. You don't see very far down the road do you?

You should learn how to write posts that aren't offensive to the reader, otherwise you are wasting your time if you are waiting for a reply.

I'm not wasting my time, as I do not require a response to that. The truth is the truth, even when it hurts.
Special Agent 47
Special Agent 47
Aderan Assassin
Aderan Assassin

Back to top Go down

Post by seaborgium Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:08 am

if you think thats offensive, then I think you should go back over and read other post.

You are truly amazing.

seaborgium
2nd in Command
2nd in Command

Number of posts : 2551
Registration date : 2009-10-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenzu Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:50 am

seaborgium wrote:if you think thats offensive, then I think you should go back over and read other post.

You are truly amazing.

Try walking to 10 random guys and ask each of them: "You are not very bright, are you?"
Pretty sure a couple will punch you for that. I wonder if you will be asking yourself why they did it.
Because it seems you don't consider that offensive at all.

You can call someone an idiot by making it sound like a question. It will still be offensive. Did you not know that?
Kenzu
Kenzu
Alliance Leader
Alliance Leader

Back to top Go down

Post by Special Agent 47 Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:55 am

Kenzu wrote:
seaborgium wrote:if you think thats offensive, then I think you should go back over and read other post.

You are truly amazing.

Try walking to 10 random guys and ask each of them: "You are not very bright, are you?"
Pretty sure a couple will punch you for that. I wonder if you will be asking yourself why they did it.
Because it seems you don't consider that offensive at all.

You can call someone an idiot by making it sound like a question. It will still be offensive. Did you not know that?

**If they say something stupid then they earn the remark. I notice you didn't disagree with my explanation. Why is that Kenzu?

Anyway, Yes it was meant to be blunt. I can see why you took it as insulting. The point I made still hold true. The remark you made was infact very short sighted. As for the insult, it was not meant to be personal, just very abrasive and blunt.

**edit**

When i say if they say something stupid then they earn the remark I was not talking about you, after posting it did look that way. I was referring to your 10 random people. If I walked up to 10 random people and 9 of them had their clothes on backwards or inside out, then yes I would say that to them. No I would not say that to someone who had not said or done something stupid.
Special Agent 47
Special Agent 47
Aderan Assassin
Aderan Assassin

Back to top Go down

Post by Manleva Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:12 am

Kenzu wrote:I understood and welcome your PM improvement suggestion

I dont see a reason in Empire messaging if it sends messages to alliance leaders only. Then I might as well send it to the 1 or 2 leaders personally.

I won't be as blunt as SA47 but I have to agree with him that you are not looking far enough out into the future.

When suggesting Empire Messaging I said keep it to the Alliance Leadership not the Leaders. By this I was meaning the Alliance Leader, 2IC & all Advisers and possibly Squad Leaders which depending on the Alliances makeup could be quite a few people. Then when necessary those people can pass messages on to ordinary Alliance members.

I have to ask the question that If you want to allow messaging to the entire Empire then what is the difference between an Empire and an Alliance.

Of course we are as you have said talking about something that does not yet exist and how Empires are coded and implemented will have bearing on how Empire messaging is configured.
Manleva
Manleva
Aderan Assassin
Aderan Assassin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenzu Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:12 pm

Manleva wrote:
Kenzu wrote:I understood and welcome your PM improvement suggestion

I won't be as blunt as SA47 but I have to agree with him that you are not looking far enough out into the future.

When suggesting Empire Messaging I said keep it to the Alliance Leadership not the Leaders. By this I was meaning the Alliance Leader, 2IC & all Advisers and possibly Squad Leaders which depending on the Alliances makeup could be quite a few people. Then when necessary those people can pass messages on to ordinary Alliance members.

I have to ask the question that If you want to allow messaging to the entire Empire then what is the difference between an Empire and an Alliance.

Of course we are as you have said talking about something that does not yet exist and how Empires are coded and implemented will have bearing on how Empire messaging is configured.

You can be sure that I considered the future, and I don't see 10 alliances become one empire in the near future (1-2 years). And even if a miracle happened, and suddently there were thousands of active players on AW, even then I believe leaders should be able to send an empire wide message. Besides alliance number alone doesn't say anything about the total number of members. The alliances could consist of 5 members each and of 50 members each.

Also, you are saying it like it was vital that the empire message will send messages only to leaders, and that it isn't possible to make any change.

It just doesn't make sense to make updates, which will bring benefit to the game after 1 or 2 years, if there are much more pressing updates to be done.
In fact, why bother making updates that are completely useless now? Why not make them once they will become useful?

Also, currently you can send messages to alliance members and alliance leadership.
No one says we can't add 2 buttons to send to empire members and empire leadership, thus have both possibilities.
Kenzu
Kenzu
Alliance Leader
Alliance Leader

Back to top Go down

Post by Manleva Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:19 pm

I think we are getting away from the point of this thread a bit discussing Empire Messaging. I do not consider it vital but if I use your example of 5 Alliances of 50 members each then the total membership is 250.

My concern is more around server load. If you have an alliance leadership of 4 players then your empire messaging is broken down with the firs message being sent to 20 players. the message would then be sent to Alliance members in blocks of 49. Allowing full empire wide messaging would see 249 messages placed on the server in one go.

Also if we are to consider RL empires (not that there were or are that many) then how often did the empire leadership talk to the entire population. Normal communication from the leadership goes down the chain of command.
Manleva
Manleva
Aderan Assassin
Aderan Assassin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenzu Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:41 pm

Manleva wrote:I think we are getting away from the point of this thread a bit discussing Empire Messaging. I do not consider it vital but if I use your example of 5 Alliances of 50 members each then the total membership is 250.

My concern is more around server load. If you have an alliance leadership of 4 players then your empire messaging is broken down with the firs message being sent to 20 players. the message would then be sent to Alliance members in blocks of 49. Allowing full empire wide messaging would see 249 messages placed on the server in one go.

Also if we are to consider RL empires (not that there were or are that many) then how often did the empire leadership talk to the entire population. Normal communication from the leadership goes down the chain of command.

If the president of United States can make a speach that is broadcasted on television in each single US state, then and Empire can do the same thing.
I am not in favour of making things more complicated than they have to be. If the server can take it without problems, then it can be done. Once we get Empires that have hundreds of members we can think of restrictions.
Kenzu
Kenzu
Alliance Leader
Alliance Leader

Back to top Go down

Post by Manleva Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:14 pm

Kenzu wrote:If the president of United States can make a speach that is broadcasted on television in each single US state, then and Empire can do the same thing.
I am not in favour of making things more complicated than they have to be. If the server can take it without problems, then it can be done. Once we get Empires that have hundreds of members we can think of restrictions.

Yes the President can make a speech that is broadcast but also the people have the choice of listening to it as well. I can also see occasions when an Empire leader would need to message everyone but it's a matter of balance and the possible effects on server which as it is now suffers from lag.

Yes it could be fully open and then restricted at a later date. Personally I think it would be better the other way around, start restricted and then open it up later. You will get less complaints from the players this way as they don't like restrictions being added to implemented features.

Also a lot would depend on how it is coded. Many applications handle messaging using a polling system where messages written are stored and then checked for and sent at regular intervals e.g. every so many minutes. This could be configured so that the polling and sending does not occur while other processes are running eg. not at the end/beginning of every Turn
Manleva
Manleva
Aderan Assassin
Aderan Assassin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content