Aderan Wars
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

These games AW/Dune/SGW

+2
Hai-Shulud
Admin
6 posters

Go down

These games AW/Dune/SGW Empty These games AW/Dune/SGW

Post by Admin Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:53 pm

Anyone else have the feeling that they are more than use of time in the "playing game to enjoy your free time" sense.
I know I personally learnt a lot that I can and do use in RL. Politics, importance of being connected, negotiating, learn how to organize people, learn that people are lazy unless you stand over them with a whip....

I really could go on, even doubling or trippling the list if I include things that I started doing as admin.
But I'd love to know what experiences other people had that they knew would also be useful to use in RL
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4363
Registration date : 2008-08-18

http://www.aderanwars.com

Back to top Go down

These games AW/Dune/SGW Empty Re: These games AW/Dune/SGW

Post by Hai-Shulud Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:54 pm

On a general principle the kind of person i am here is the exact opposite of who i am in RL.

The reason i play games like these is so i can experiment with different personalities. On one game i can be really laid back, others im aggressive ( Twisted Evil i use that one a lot ), some i strive for leadership and others i like taking a back seat. To me its like a social experiment.

One thing that stuck out to me as something ive learnt online is that - you are the sum of your actions and not your words. IE - online everyone is willing to call your bluff coz the consequences have little significance in RL. So if you open your gob as far as im concerned you should be able to back it up with some actions.
Hai-Shulud
Hai-Shulud
Aderan Miner
Aderan Miner

Alliance : The Crusaders
Number of posts : 226
Registration date : 2009-07-24

Back to top Go down

Post by kingkongfan1 Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:55 am

As this is my first contact with any online games, I will have to think about this long & hard. but as far as other games I've played you are either DungeonMaster: the guy who sets up the scenario, or player:the person who plays through the scenario. In RL I have become both DM & Player. king
kingkongfan1
kingkongfan1
Coalition Officer
Coalition Officer

ID : kingkongfan1(98)
Alliance : [The Marauder's Imperium]
Number of posts : 1387
Registration date : 2010-01-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Osyndicate Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:13 am

Kong, I got a strong hint you played D&D from your MOTD, but thats sweet, I do too!

I honestly prefer being a player, just cause, but most of my friends think I would make a cool DM.

I am the guy that has bought all the books for all the classes, and has a shoebox full of sorted di.

(Including a d100 made of cobalt blue glass. Haven't used it once but god, is it pretty.)

On topic however, I agree Admin. Thru this game, I have learned that diplomacy is the most powerful thing in the world. That loyalty is a hard thing to hold. And most of all, that not dropping a game the first 10 minutes you play is (Cause you don't understand) is one of the best things I have ever done.

This game pulled me away from a game (Another Browser Based MMO) I played for 2 years, and donated plenty of money to. Which does anger/sadden me, but the experience here is so much better.

I could relate this to my uuber console nerd side, which is how I chose xbox360 over ps3. I grew up with playstation, and because of my brothers, I (Misleadingly) despised xbox. When the 'Console Wars' started, I played a little bit more xbl, and reclused from psn. Even though the playstation (Other Game I played) was a lot more "Shiny", as well as offering more features as a game. I prefer the xbox (Aderan Wars) because it/they had what I wanted, a solid online experience, a community that took the game seriously, and a staff (Admin) that would pounce on bugs as well as keep an open mind for game suggestions.

You know, I cannot even fathom what this game is going to be like in a years time, at least 1 familiar face is going to leave, so many new active players will join, by then the starport will probably be up, not to mention any other updates in store.

And eventually this game is going to be shut down, one way or another, nothing lasts forever. But for now, I would like to thank you admin for giving the interwebs such a quality game that is only just beginning to get bigger and better.

Syndicate
Osyndicate
Osyndicate
Aderan Miner
Aderan Miner

ID : Syndicate
SS Currently Active.
Alliance : World Republic.
Minister of Foreign Affairs.
Number of posts : 208
Registration date : 2009-05-02

http://google.com

Back to top Go down

Post by kingkongfan1 Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:09 am

Osyndicate wrote:
On topic however, I agree Admin. Thru this game, I have learned that diplomacy is the most powerful thing in the world. That loyalty is a hard thing to hold. And most of all, that not dropping a game the first 10 minutes you play is (Cause you don't understand) is one of the best things I have ever done.
And eventually this game is going to be shut down, one way or another, nothing lasts forever. But for now, I would like to thank you admin for giving the interwebs such a quality game that is only just beginning to get bigger and better.

Syndicate

I agree with this statement 100%... king
kingkongfan1
kingkongfan1
Coalition Officer
Coalition Officer

ID : kingkongfan1(98)
Alliance : [The Marauder's Imperium]
Number of posts : 1387
Registration date : 2010-01-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandwalker Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:59 pm

As opposed to the game, loyalty is easier to hold and use in real life.

Sandwalker
Aderan Super Soldier
Aderan Super Soldier

Number of posts : 750
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Nomad Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:41 pm

When you are face to face with a person, you can resolve an issue because it can be pinned down and a resolution found, even if it is just to agree to disagree. Online tho, there are those who just want to argue or complain because they can, and will refuse an answer even when one is given.

I guess these games have helped me to learn how to deal with those types of people in real life. To be able to identify the issue they are raising, offer a viable resolution, and then just say either accept the resolution or STHU and walk away from them.
Nomad
Nomad
Alliance Leader
Alliance Leader

ID : WORD OF THE DAY
Hipocracy
hy·poc·ri·sy
Show Spelled[hi-pok-ruh-see]
–noun, plural -sies.

1. a pretense of having a virtuous character, moral or religious beliefs or principles, etc., that one does not really possess.
2. the practice of professing standards, beliefs, etc, contrary to one's real character or actual behavior, esp the pretense of virtue and piety
3. a pretense of having some desirable or publicly approved attitude.

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2008-12-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum