Aderan Wars
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Att on site

+2
Admin
Nomad
6 posters

Go down

Att on site Empty Att on site

Post by Nomad Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:15 pm

Important user information
There has been an attack on the site (but actually started with an attack on the hosting company and tbh there have been thousands of other sites over the whole world affected).
If you care what it was about read this.

In any case if you don't have an antivirus program running, now would be a good time to get one. From personal experience I've been using Avira Antivir (it's very good and it's free) but there are also others.

If you don't have one there is a high risk your computer might have gotten infected with a trojan (either on this or any other compromised site) you should at the very least scan your computer and remove all potential infected files here's a good scanner i've been using too but again there are tons more on the net.

Can you state when this attack occurred? I lost my PC for the first time ever in 11 yrs to a virus. I has put me out for 5 days now. I have just now gotten back online. While my phone access keep my games alive it did cost me here in some farming. My main concern now is, whats the likely hood it will happen again.

That is, if the virus I got came from here.
Nomad
Nomad
Alliance Leader
Alliance Leader

ID : WORD OF THE DAY
Hipocracy
hy·poc·ri·sy
Show Spelled[hi-pok-ruh-see]
–noun, plural -sies.

1. a pretense of having a virtuous character, moral or religious beliefs or principles, etc., that one does not really possess.
2. the practice of professing standards, beliefs, etc, contrary to one's real character or actual behavior, esp the pretense of virtue and piety
3. a pretense of having some desirable or publicly approved attitude.

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2008-12-17

Back to top Go down

Att on site Empty Re: Att on site

Post by Admin Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:06 pm

Timeframe i'd say anywhere between yesterday and today. But it had more to do with malicious code being added to the index page and coming onto a users drive when he loaded it.

How this attack occured, no clue, as stated the problem was not with this actual site but with my host. The hackers got ftp login info from my host somehow and with that uploaded a modified index page inluding the malicious code.

Secondly these attacks have happened on countless other sites (so you might have also gotten them from anywhere else too)
http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9068402
So this attack wasn't particularly directed at AW but was more a quite massive systematic attack and that I could have not prevented it in any way.

Theoretically, another such thing occuring is 50/50 (it either happens or it doesn't), practically I doubt we should see something like this again in the near future.

Bottom line: Be sure you got an up to date firewall and antivirus (both of which you can get for free and LEGALLY) and you'll be safe in 99% of the possible situations
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4363
Registration date : 2008-08-18

http://www.aderanwars.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Nomad Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:27 am

Then the virus did not come from here. I lost my PC Friday morning of last week. So now I have to figure out where it came from.

Funny thing is, I have not had any antivirus on this pc since the 1 yr trial of norton ran out that came with the PC LOL. So its been 9 or 10 yrs ive run with no antivirus software
Nomad
Nomad
Alliance Leader
Alliance Leader

ID : WORD OF THE DAY
Hipocracy
hy·poc·ri·sy
Show Spelled[hi-pok-ruh-see]
–noun, plural -sies.

1. a pretense of having a virtuous character, moral or religious beliefs or principles, etc., that one does not really possess.
2. the practice of professing standards, beliefs, etc, contrary to one's real character or actual behavior, esp the pretense of virtue and piety
3. a pretense of having some desirable or publicly approved attitude.

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2008-12-17

Back to top Go down

Post by somebody Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:45 am

I am not a computer expert but can you help me know if I have a virus. As soon as I log on to this site everything is fine. I am happy. I then see that there has been an attack on this site. I am thinking "No worries, I won't get any problems," and when I go to another site, it was slow to say the least. I decided to restart my computer and it was painfully long compared to before. At this point I try to close Skype (a program which opens automatically on my computer and is virus free) it closed very, very slowly. Now I am afraid since everything is slow (opening this browser took a long time). It is strange, but this site loads relativity fast compared to other ones. I am using SeaMonkey as my browser and I am using a Mac (O.S. X). I do not have an anti-virus on this laptop. I think I have a virus.
somebody
somebody
Aderan Soldier
Aderan Soldier

ID : 149
Alliance : World Republic
Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:08 am

in the message ingame i put up 2 links, one antivirus software and one malware scanner, both are for free

if you think you have something then you'd do best to do the following:

download the antivirus (you can download a personal edition which is for free) and the malware scanner

close your internet connection, install the malware scanner and run the scan (it scanned 300 gig of data on my comp in 1.5 hours), then check the report and make it delete all infected files it found.
You'll maybe be asked to restart comp to remove the rest, if it does then restart your comp.

After you restart install the antivirus and you should be fine for the future.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by chaos Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:59 pm

yeah just a tip.

you should never need to buy / pay for any anti virus / malware / spyware removal stuff. there are many good programs that can be downloaded for free that are often far easier and simpler to use and do the same job as others.

a great site for many free applications/programs that are 100% free and legal File Hippo
chaos
chaos
Aderan Miner
Aderan Miner

ID : ???
Alliance : Your Guess?
Number of posts : 324
Registration date : 2008-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by ~tackless shadow~ Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:03 pm

AVG is good too i havent had a problem with viruses since i got it
~tackless shadow~
~tackless shadow~
Aderan Farmer
Aderan Farmer

ID : 1010
Alliance : DDA
Number of posts : 92
Registration date : 2009-03-18

Back to top Go down

Post by somebody Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:40 pm

Well, thanks for the advice but the problems is that my computer can not read anything with a .exe at the end so the things you suggested won't work but thank you anyway afro.
somebody
somebody
Aderan Soldier
Aderan Soldier

ID : 149
Alliance : World Republic
Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by chaos Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:48 am

a) you could go to a back-up assuming yo u havany

b) try accesssing programs in safe mode, as this limits what programs run and try from there.
chaos
chaos
Aderan Miner
Aderan Miner

ID : ???
Alliance : Your Guess?
Number of posts : 324
Registration date : 2008-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by ~tackless shadow~ Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:08 am

also try a system restore date
~tackless shadow~
~tackless shadow~
Aderan Farmer
Aderan Farmer

ID : 1010
Alliance : DDA
Number of posts : 92
Registration date : 2009-03-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:52 am

A good idea is also to have two user accounts on your computer.
one admin will full permissions and one user with restricted permission to only run the programs you want to be run
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kismet Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:29 am

more than half the time if you have a virus, you won't be able to run the online scanners... it won't be able to load the information/program to scan from the site, it won't load the site itself or the scan will crash... any of those happen and it'd be a very good idea to download one from say cnet/download.com, load it on a flash drive and run it from there (make sure the flash drive is read only and please try to download it from another system, not the one with the possible infection)

also, there's something similar going on that loads a rootkit onto your system. that's more of a problem to remove, but it is possible to do so - just make sure you know what you're doing or have someone who does remove it

Kismet
Aderan Worker
Aderan Worker

Number of posts : 102
Registration date : 2009-04-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down