Aderan Wars
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

lets clearly define offincive

+2
Admin
october_17
6 posters

Go down

lets clearly define offincive Empty lets clearly define offincive

Post by october_17 Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:53 pm

i see ofincive lanuage, as... well things that wouldnt come up in civilized conversation

swearing, i vote offincive

name calling, i do not, unles the name itself targets a spicifig groupe with hate intended or implied
october_17
october_17
Aderan Miner
Aderan Miner

ID : 151
Alliance : world republic
Number of posts : 232
Registration date : 2010-09-26

Back to top Go down

lets clearly define offincive Empty Re: lets clearly define offincive

Post by Admin Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:59 pm

Ok, I distinguish between 2 things:
Insulting and offensive

Something offensive is ALWAYS insulting (by the very definition of "offensive") but something insulting is not always offensive.

Insulting is very person dependent.
I could say "you make love to men".
If someone's homosexual then they wouldn't find that insulting, some others might though. But it's hardly an offensive statement.

On the other hand, name calling or just expletives, etc. (well we all know the stuff) is offensive and by definition insulting (while maybe not to the recipient but most likely to some observers, if it weren't insulting to anyone then it's also not in the category of offensive)
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4363
Registration date : 2008-08-18

http://www.aderanwars.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenzu Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:50 pm

offensive
Causing anger, displeasure, resentment, or affront: an offensive gesture.
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/offensive

Unrelated to the exact definition to what offensive the admin should make sure that people write properly on the forum and those who are incapable of writing in a polite manner and write things that offend others stay out.

Of course sometimes it's hard to draw a line, but generally, if it offends a couple people, then it shouldn't be tolerated.

And I disagree with admin, if you say "you make love to men", then someone who is homosexual might also consider that insulting, especially if said by someone who is not a homosexual. Just like white people shouldn't call black people by the N word, even though some black people might use the expression among themselves.

Often the context determines if you will offend someone or not. During WWII Russians often referred to Germans as Fritz, and it was a derogatory word. So if you call a German guy who's name is Fritz, it's not an insult, but if you call a German guy you don't know by the name Fritz, you are offending him (if he knows about this use). Same Germans referring to Russians as "Ivan". Say "Stop posting Ivan", and it's insulting to the Russian guy, even though you haven't used an isult.

Generally it can easily be recognised if something which has been said, has been said with the intention to insult someone. If yes, then it should be punished.

Another example:
"Don't you have a brain?"
It's a question, but at the same time it will offend many people if you say it to them.
Kenzu
Kenzu
Alliance Leader
Alliance Leader

Number of posts : 3034
Registration date : 2008-12-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Manleva Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:32 pm

Perhaps Admin could tell us what Rating he see's as being applicable for the forum as this would provide a general guideline to everyone as to what may be permissible.

Insulting and Offensive can be interpreted differently by different people. Letting people know that the forum is G, PG rated or some other rating would give them a better idea as to what is permissable.
Manleva
Manleva
Aderan Assassin
Aderan Assassin

ID : 999
Alliance : TMI
Number of posts : 659
Registration date : 2009-08-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:53 pm

Manleva wrote:Perhaps Admin could tell us what Rating he see's as being applicable for the forum as this would provide a general guideline to everyone as to what may be permissible.

Insulting and Offensive can be interpreted differently by different people. Letting people know that the forum is G, PG rated or some other rating would give them a better idea as to what is permissable.
I'd say appropriate 10-12 years and above (PG comes in that category i think)
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4363
Registration date : 2008-08-18

http://www.aderanwars.com

Back to top Go down

Post by abs2 Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:52 pm

My upbringing was split between 2 examples; would you say that to your grandma, and how would you feel if someone else said that to your grandma?
BTW, my grandma wasn't a teamster or a sailor, nor was she a prude or a preachers wife. She was a librarian. She knew all the offensive stuff, but rarely felt the need to use it.
A slightly different rule I have since learned is that a mature person (or society) would consider the impact of all that they plan to say prior to it issuing their mouth. If it could concievably be taken poorly, don't say it. In the end, we each are responsible for our choice of words, and also for how we treat each other.

My opinion, for what it's worth.
abs2
abs2
Mercenary
Mercenary

ID : 5079
Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2010-11-16

Back to top Go down

Post by abs2 Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:53 pm

even 10-12 year olds
abs2
abs2
Mercenary
Mercenary

ID : 5079
Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2010-11-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenzu Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:35 pm

I like how you make the example with your grandma.
I think it's a good guideline.
Don't say things, which you wouldn't say to your grandma (or other family member).
Kenzu
Kenzu
Alliance Leader
Alliance Leader

Number of posts : 3034
Registration date : 2008-12-03

Back to top Go down

Post by seaborgium Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:50 am

hmm if you use grandma, then everything I have seen on here and ingame wouldn't be a problem.
as mines is a little "outgoing" to say the least.

seaborgium
2nd in Command
2nd in Command

Number of posts : 2551
Registration date : 2009-10-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Manleva Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:36 am

I know that my grandma would have been a good example, but I do not know what other peoples grandma's or family members would or would not find acceptable.

I have come across grandmothers that would faint at the mere thought of a profanity through to those who's every second word would leave abs2's teamsters and sailors blushing.

I like Admins PG rating with the 10 to 12 year and above limit. Generally I think that everyone will understand it and have an appreciation of what is deemed acceptable.

I know that some here will have issues with it but I am used to being on a very strictly G Rated forum where the War threads left anything I have seen here for dead. It's not so much what you say but also how you say it.
Manleva
Manleva
Aderan Assassin
Aderan Assassin

ID : 999
Alliance : TMI
Number of posts : 659
Registration date : 2009-08-17

Back to top Go down

Post by october_17 Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:40 am

seaborgium wrote:hmm if you use grandma, then everything I have seen on here and ingame wouldn't be a problem.
as mines is a little "outgoing" to say the least.

lol granies gone crazy ( i mean this with all due respect)
october_17
october_17
Aderan Miner
Aderan Miner

ID : 151
Alliance : world republic
Number of posts : 232
Registration date : 2010-09-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content