Aderan Wars
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New event notification

3 posters

Go down

New event notification Empty New event notification

Post by Miglow Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:16 pm

New events currently only show up on the base page. I was thinking it would be useful to be able to know when there is a new event whenever you open any current page. There are many situations when someone is online when they won't immediately check their base page for updates.

I was thinking one of two ideas:
-That new notifications show a the top of any page till acknowledged/deleted.
-There could be a notification on or by the base button. Like a the button changing color or having a some sort of icon show up next to it. Then we could know, "hey, i should check my base page" If we wanted to get complicated, it could even use varying icons to display the kind of event.

-Or, both could also be used, and the user can just set their preference.

Miglow
Aderan Worker
Aderan Worker

ID : 3224
Alliance : The Black Dragons
Number of posts : 150
Registration date : 2010-04-14

Back to top Go down

New event notification Empty Re: New event notification

Post by seaborgium Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:24 pm

I know another game had that and its not that great. it slowed it down a fair bit and pending on how it works, you may never see it.

seaborgium
2nd in Command
2nd in Command

Number of posts : 2551
Registration date : 2009-10-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Miglow Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:46 pm

well, the way I'm thinking about it would not think there would be much impact on speed, if any. then again, like you said it could depend on the implementation.

We already get a notification for when we get an in game message and how many there are. That doesn't seem to have much affect. I would think this wouldn't be much different.

Miglow
Aderan Worker
Aderan Worker

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:06 am

there's a pretty good reason why it only shows on base page
2 actually

independent of that
1) your suggestion lacks a serious part of said implementation, "to be able to know [on] any current page". Basically you said the "what" but you forgot to mention the "where" and "how"
2) how about you have to check your base page as part of the fun of "not noticing the exact second you get hit in case you forget to check base page"?
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4363
Registration date : 2008-08-18

http://www.aderanwars.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Miglow Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:45 pm

Admin wrote:there's a pretty good reason why it only shows on base page
2 actually

independent of that
1) your suggestion lacks a serious part of said implementation, "to be able to know [on] any current page". Basically you said the "what" but you forgot to mention the "where" and "how"

1) I thought did that, but maybe I should be more specific. a) where? the Base button or something similar on the command bar. How? change color or add icon, which indicates an event of note, and would reset when the base page is visited b) where? top of the page. how? would either be a generic text saying "new event on base page" or even the specific event. Again, reset when base page is visited.

The event doesn't have to neccessarily be to announce attack. It just means there is a new notification of note. Like an acheivement, message, change in officer's status, basically anything new that shows up on the base page notification.

2) how about you have to check your base page as part of the fun of "not noticing the exact second you get hit in case you forget to check base page"?

Well, the idea of wading through some logs, or browsing farming targets for a few minutes only to realise you just got your butt handed to you doesn't seem like fun, or fair, considering you were online and available to possibly do something in response. The person is essentially punsished for not compusively checking their base page every other click... meanwhile email notifications, kuwal, and # of turns is all completely up to date on every single page view. I figured an update like this would be easy to add, could make the game experience smoother, and make something like online pvp a bit more doable.

Miglow
Aderan Worker
Aderan Worker

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:23 pm

Miglow wrote:Well, the idea of wading through some logs, or browsing farming targets for a few minutes only to realise you just got your butt handed to you doesn't seem like fun, or fair, considering you were online and available to possibly do something in response. The person is essentially punsished for not compusively checking their base page every other click... meanwhile email notifications, kuwal, and # of turns is all completely up to date on every single page view. I figured an update like this would be easy to add, could make the game experience smoother, and make something like online pvp a bit more doable.
Ok so here's my ideas:

1) That's the point, in other games, GW/DUNE/RB, you still have to click on the base page to see if your stats are going down, otherwise you wont notice attacks. However in AW, by going to the base page you'll additionally see precicely what kind of attack, along with a link to the respective mission log

This is why i'm still against the idea. While currently even if someone is online, you might be lucky and get in 1-5 minutes of hits into their account before they notice. Hence even the person who is online still CAN make a mistake. That's what the game is about, making mistakes and learning from them. Most people want to avoid online pvp because in real wars it increases costs and people want to mass for as little as possible Smile
If you want online pvp then pm the person you're attacking, the inbox WILL turn RED.

2) There's no way for me to tag "read" notifications (yes I could add it easily, the doability is not the issue, it's the side effects I won't like). Hence the only way you'd be able to benefit from this is by deleting all notices each time you see the base page, as the display would be of the sort Green/Red or in other words Notices are present/not present.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4363
Registration date : 2008-08-18

http://www.aderanwars.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Miglow Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:04 pm

Well, in my perspective, it's allready unlikly enough that someone will fight at the same time someone is online and refreshing a page anyways. It's allready tipped in the attacker's favor, I was thinking this would help increase the chance of retaliation being possible. (my lack of experience in those games may be why our opinions are so different)

Notices: The only reason I see to not delete any notice when you read them, is for preserving the time and data. Which, well, I sometimes post with a copy paste into a forum, then promptly delete. I like keeping the notice area tidy. So the whole notice present/not present idea would make sense to me.

Also, it's not like all notices are attacks. People could not clear them, or assume it was something else and still not catch an online attack.

Miglow
Aderan Worker
Aderan Worker

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down