Aderan Wars
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

lose vs loose

+8
buhcoreTheGreat
Jiro
Magnus
Nigatsu_Aka
kingkongfan1
melonhead
curumo
Miglow
12 posters

Go down

lose vs loose Empty lose vs loose

Post by Miglow Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:16 am

I've noticed quite a few people across the forum here make this very simple and easy to confuse mispelling. Yeah, I'm not the best speller, and I hate grammer nazi's (see below) just as much as the next person. It's just, I have one small favor to ask of all of you.

Please. Please, please, pleeze. Do me this small favor people and learn the differance between loose and lose. When referring to something that is lost, it should be spelt lose. When something is not tight, it should be loose. The first several times I saw it kinda made me go, "huh?" and just wonder why it was misspelled. Now, its starting to become one of those little mental itches and is starting to reach pet-peeve status. This is turning me into the dreaded grammar nazi (see above), which is nothing but a sad sad site to see. Aderanwars has become something I enjoy and it would be a shame to leeve over something as simple as a typo.

Thanks for your time and understanding. I hope those who have been suffering sighlently or openly about these mistakes will support me. I hope anyone who spelt "lose" improperly does not take this personaly and take this to heart and with good humour.

-M

Spoiler:

Miglow
Aderan Worker
Aderan Worker

ID : 3224
Alliance : The Black Dragons
Number of posts : 150
Registration date : 2010-04-14

Back to top Go down

lose vs loose Empty Re: lose vs loose

Post by curumo Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:16 am

Dude you're my new hero Very Happy (not a joke)

Good thing you pointed out here Wink

curumo
Aderan Miner
Aderan Miner

Number of posts : 335
Registration date : 2008-08-22

Back to top Go down

Post by melonhead Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:49 am

One way to remember the difference between the two words is to think that lose has lost an o
melonhead
melonhead
Aderan Worker
Aderan Worker

ID : Aspire
Number of posts : 132
Registration date : 2009-02-22

Back to top Go down

Post by kingkongfan1 Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:51 pm

sorry mig; lol... its not leeve, its leave... LMMFAO... & silently... king

Last edited by kingkongfan1 on Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:53 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : silent)
kingkongfan1
kingkongfan1
Coalition Officer
Coalition Officer

ID : kingkongfan1(98)
Alliance : [The Marauder's Imperium]
Number of posts : 1387
Registration date : 2010-01-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Nigatsu_Aka Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:03 pm

Miglow wrote:I've noticed quite a few people across the forum here make this very simple and easy to confuse mispelling. Yeah, I'm not the best speller, and I hate grammer nazi's (see below) just as much as the next person. It's just, I have one small favor to ask of all of you.

Please. Please, please, pleeze. Do me this small favor people and learn the differance between loose and lose. When referring to something that is lost, it should be spelt lose. When something is not tight, it should be loose. The first several times I saw it kinda made me go, "huh?" and just wonder why it was misspelled. Now, its starting to become one of those little mental itches and is starting to reach pet-peeve status. This is turning me into the dreaded grammar nazi (see above), which is nothing but a sad sad site to see. Aderanwars has become something I enjoy and it would be a shame to leeve over something as simple as a typo.

Thanks for your time and understanding. I hope those who have been suffering sighlently or openly about these mistakes will support me. I hope anyone who spelt "lose" improperly does not take this personaly and take this to heart and with good humour.

-M

Spoiler:

I know that i do this mistake sometimes... and probably it's not the only one. I know very well the difference, but often a typo mistake slips; when and if i notice the mistakes, i edit my posts. Don't "leeve" hehe...
Nigatsu_Aka
Nigatsu_Aka
Aderan Assassin
Aderan Assassin

ID : I no longer have an account. Taking a break.
Number of posts : 526
Registration date : 2009-01-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Magnus Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:00 pm

Miglow wrote:I've noticed quite a few people across the forum here make this very simple and easy to confuse mispelling. Yeah, I'm not the best speller, and I hate grammer nazi's (see below) just as much as the next person. It's just, I have one small favor to ask of all of you.

-M

Spoiler:

Hey Miglow,

thank you very much for pointing these things out, but I have to say that "differance","sighlently" are also spelt differently. Plus I would advise you not to use the format calling yourself a Grammer Nazi. First of all it is spelled Grammar and not Grammer. Furthermore Nazi is a term you should not use in this sense. I am from germany and know how offensive it can get. Nazi is a very offensive term.Please refrain and use a different term.

Secondly I hope you will also understand that a lot of people are from different country´s and the spelling might be a difficulty to them. It is very nice of you to point this out though. I learned from it and that I am thankful for.

Now also leaving a game over a typo, huh affraid cheers

Take care sunny
Magnus
Magnus
Aderan Miner
Aderan Miner

ID : 43
Number of posts : 312
Registration date : 2009-04-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Jiro Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:05 pm

Hi Magnus,

I see so many people use "loose" and "looser", including English speaking people, that I understand the frustration. I've seen Ian do this, though he is an educated person living in Wales.
And it annoys me as well. Kudos Miglow. And Kudos to Magnus for spellchecking Miglows post.

Jiro
Aderan Spy
Aderan Spy

Number of posts : 487
Registration date : 2009-09-24

http://www.aderanwars.eu

Back to top Go down

Post by buhcoreTheGreat Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:36 pm

Magnus wrote:

-M

Spoiler:

Hey Miglow,

thank you very much for pointing these things out, but I have to say that "differance","sighlently" are also spelt differently. Plus I would advise you not to use the format calling yourself a Grammer Nazi. First of all it is spelled Grammar and not Grammer. Furthermore Nazi is a term you should not use in this sense. I am from germany and know how offensive it can get. Nazi is a very offensive term.Please refrain and use a different term.

Secondly I hope you will also understand that a lot of people are from different country´s and the spelling might be a difficulty to them. It is very nice of you to point this out though. I learned from it and that I am thankful for.

Take care sunny

lol i'm suprised you're a german. 95% of germans that i know don't have a clue how to speak english
buhcoreTheGreat
buhcoreTheGreat
Aderan Miner
Aderan Miner

ID :
What's crackin' ?
Who ya mackin' ?
Whatcha doin' ?
Who ya screwin' ?
Whatcha drinkin ?
Whatcha thinkin' ?

Number of posts : 340
Registration date : 2009-06-20

http://www.bmoworld.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Miglow Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:21 pm

I thought English was a common second language in Germany? Interestingly enough, some people across the world study English as a second language through school, and then become better at speaking and writing English than most native users, because they didn't learn many of the bad habits native speakers acquire!

This is in no way targeted to those who have English as a second language. To them this is just a minor correction, and a reminder not to just copy what they see blindly, since even native speakers make plenty of mistakes of their own. The diversity on AW and other internet games is part of the charm.

Again, the main reason I pointed this out is because the mistake with this one word was so widespread over the forums. A part of me was hoping this is some sort of inside joke? I know this is the internet, and trying to be the grammar police (better magnus?) online is an effort in futility, and pointless.

Something I have learned over time on the internet is to ignore all the little mistakes here and there and see the overall gist of what they are saying. (btw everyone, thanks for seeing and pointing out some of my grammer mistakes and mispellings) Wink

Miglow
Aderan Worker
Aderan Worker

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:29 pm

pfft I would bet that more people mix up "its" and "it's"
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4363
Registration date : 2008-08-18

http://www.aderanwars.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Paladius Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:37 pm

Miglow wrote:I thought English was a common second language in Germany? Interestingly enough, some people across the world study English as a second language through school, and then become better at speaking and writing English than most native users, because they didn't learn many of the bad habits native speakers acquire!

This is in no way targeted to those who have English as a second language. To them this is just a minor correction, and a reminder not to just copy what they see blindly, since even native speakers make plenty of mistakes of their own. The diversity on AW and other internet games is part of the charm.

Again, the main reason I pointed this out is because the mistake with this one word was so widespread over the forums. A part of me was hoping this is some sort of inside joke? I know this is the internet, and trying to be the grammar police (better magnus?) online is an effort in futility, and pointless.

Something I have learned over time on the internet is to ignore all the little mistakes here and there and see the overall gist of what they are saying. (btw everyone, thanks for seeing and pointing out some of my grammer mistakes and mispellings) Wink
I had an english teacher from south africa who spoke english better than most americans. So i understand your point perfectly.
Paladius
Paladius
Aderan Spy
Aderan Spy

ID : The Death Dealer[id 2797]
Alliance : The Marauder's Imperium(TMI)
Number of posts : 364
Registration date : 2010-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Miglow Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:22 pm

Admin wrote:pfft I would bet that more people mix up "its" and "it's"

But, did I mix it up in my opening post? Wink

It's one of English's rules, where its implicit meaning is already easy to begin with. The people who use the "proper grammar" with "its" are in the minority, and it's not like like its clarifying much, so what is the point? So really, I don't care if people mix them up. Razz

Miglow
Aderan Worker
Aderan Worker

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:39 pm

still it's not any harder to know which one to use than your lose loose one Very Happy
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4363
Registration date : 2008-08-18

http://www.aderanwars.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Miglow Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:15 am

Well, even after learning the "its" rule people still make the mistake and you kinda have to check yourself. The fact that the rule itself breaks the rule for using an apostrophe for possessives just makes no sense to me. This is also something I never remember learning in school, and learned it from the internet. Razz

The difference between lose and loose is just remembering the spelling. They aren't even homophones. Almost the same, but not quite. For me, the double "o"s in loose make that ooh sound, and lose is the past tense of lost. So... eh? Just not one of those things that ever confused me.

When someone spells lose wrong in my head I hear it with the long ooh sound in my head. Give's me a laugh.

Miglow
Aderan Worker
Aderan Worker

Back to top Go down

Post by Magnus Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:24 am

buhcoreTheGreat wrote:
Magnus wrote:

-M

Spoiler:

Hey Miglow,

Take care sunny

lol i'm suprised you're a german. 95% of germans that i know don't have a clue how to speak english

buddy then you live behind the moon, since 65% of the germans speak 3 languages or more Wink including english
Magnus
Magnus
Aderan Miner
Aderan Miner

Back to top Go down

Post by Magnus Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:32 am

Actually Miglow I enjoy a person to teach me how to correctly write and speak a language. It furthers me down the path to correctness. Yeah the internet is a gish of people writing and using incorrect spelling and context. Me at the head a lot of times. I try to correct myself. Eventhough my second language is English, I am American. I have just lived most of my life in Germany. I have been speaking German in a Perfect manner. Sometimes even better than most Germans. When it comes to writing it though I make my common mistakes.
Yes I think the Grammar Police is more appropriate. I did not take any offense to what you said, but we all know that people get offended by a lot of little things. A lot of wars have been started by a lot of things smaller than a saying. Smile
It is fun to talk to you though. Catch me on MSN if you want to.
Greetz to you and the rest

Last edited by Magnus on Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Magnus
Magnus
Aderan Miner
Aderan Miner

Back to top Go down

Post by Magnus Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:33 am

Jiro wrote:Hi Magnus,

I see so many people use "loose" and "looser", including English speaking people, that I understand the frustration. I've seen Ian do this, though he is an educated person living in Wales.
And it annoys me as well. Kudos Miglow. And Kudos to Magnus for spellchecking Miglows post.

At least put a smiley in. This sounded so harsh What a Face
Magnus
Magnus
Aderan Miner
Aderan Miner

Back to top Go down

Post by Miglow Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:07 am

Danke shone Magnus. Sie hast English viel gut geschreiben. (Did I butcher that pretty badly?)

You may want to edit out your msn contact from your post magnus. It is much better to send that stuff in PM.

Miglow
Aderan Worker
Aderan Worker

Back to top Go down

Post by Jiro Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:49 am

Magnus wrote:
Jiro wrote:Hi Magnus,

At least put a smiley in. This sounded so harsh What a Face
I am not yet proficient at slmileys. I must be a dour type. Wink
I'll try not to forget. I tend to avoid sarcasm as a rule, having children who take things literally and getting confused if I do. (Don't know what smiley to put here)

Jiro
Aderan Spy
Aderan Spy

Number of posts : 487
Registration date : 2009-09-24

http://www.aderanwars.eu

Back to top Go down

Post by Manleva Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:01 pm

I don't really care that much about correct spelling and grammar only that it is readable. Of course I can't stand abbreviated text messages.

One thing I've found interesting here has been the discussion around English but you've all seem to have forgotten that there is more than one version .

For those who do not have English as a first language I can say that I enjoy reading your posts and don't usually have any issues understanding them and sometimes that can also be very funny even though that is not the intent.

And Jiro suitable smileys are easy to locate, it just depends on the age of your children

Sleep for babies, those night feeds can be a killer Shocked for toddlers when you need eyes in the back of your head
Very Happy for preschoolers, full of fun and always willing to help What a Face Rolling Eyes cyclops School age up to teens
geek Teenagers, need I say more and finally for Adult children you can give yourself a cheers as you've survived.
affraid What, now they want to move back home Exclamation oh well drunken

If any one takes offense with the above, Tough, I'm a father who has survived the teenage years lol!
Manleva
Manleva
Aderan Assassin
Aderan Assassin

ID : 999
Alliance : TMI
Number of posts : 659
Registration date : 2009-08-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Magnus Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:31 pm

Mantleva, lmfao and it is nice to see so many people who are older than 19 here Wink

LOL and actually nice to see someone from New Zealand. I am even looking into living there.

Thanks for the Hint Miglow. I deleted my msn Wink P.S. Not that bad with the German. I will correct it later on bounce
Magnus
Magnus
Aderan Miner
Aderan Miner

Back to top Go down

Post by Nomad Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:55 am

Well ya'll jus don know nuttin about goode ole Southern Englase, thats fer dang shure.

I don't type correctly and rarely correct, no offense but I'm not here to impress no one, as long as I get my point across I'm happy.

Heck, I type with 2 fingers so you can call me handicapped if you want LOL
Nomad
Nomad
Alliance Leader
Alliance Leader

ID : WORD OF THE DAY
Hipocracy
hy·poc·ri·sy
Show Spelled[hi-pok-ruh-see]
–noun, plural -sies.

1. a pretense of having a virtuous character, moral or religious beliefs or principles, etc., that one does not really possess.
2. the practice of professing standards, beliefs, etc, contrary to one's real character or actual behavior, esp the pretense of virtue and piety
3. a pretense of having some desirable or publicly approved attitude.

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2008-12-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Miglow Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:08 am

'ey dere. I yam wunadose ed-yoo-kate-ed suthern folks. yoowannafitemefoo?

Really, type how ya want. It's the internet, standards are low. Personally, writing on forums is an exercise in spelling and grammer for me. Less typos, and better flow of ideas means that there is less of a chance people will misunderstand the intended message.

As for loose vs lose. It's just unbelievable to me just how many people here make this mistake on a regular basis. At first I was hoping it was some sort of inside joke, but yeah...

Miglow
Aderan Worker
Aderan Worker

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down