pm messaging system not working properly...

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: pm messaging system not working properly...

Post by Admin on Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:47 pm

use the
Code:
[code]enter code here[/code]

to display codes like

Code:
<br> <span> etc.

tell me id's of the messages involved

3) Being condescending to some people helps me keep my sanity when I am forced to interact with them.

I hate PR, will never engage in it and will rain destruction on all who refuse to use their brains to think before they speak.
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4363
Registration date : 2008-08-18

View user profile http://www.aderanwars.com

Back to top Go down

Post by kingkongfan1 on Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:35 pm

so far its been 2784(me) & 3224(miglow)... let me know if I need to message someone else... thank you... king

sorry I think that there might be some confusion, I was trying to sent a regular message, example, hello, how are you?. the message came to miglow like< br >< br > hello,amp,amp, how are< br >< br > you...hope this is helpful. sorry I had to put the gaps in between < & br its the only way it would show...

Last edited by kingkongfan1 on Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:43 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : more info)
kingkongfan1
Coalition Officer
Coalition Officer

ID : kingkongfan1(98)
Alliance : [The Marauder's Imperium]
Number of posts : 1387
Registration date : 2010-01-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:10 pm

congratulations on not reading my post at all

3) Being condescending to some people helps me keep my sanity when I am forced to interact with them.

I hate PR, will never engage in it and will rain destruction on all who refuse to use their brains to think before they speak.
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:15 pm

saved messages might sometimes get displayed incorrectly, that's because encoding of special characters was changed to avoid mysql errors.

if you have a saved message then you can't do anything with it.
sending messages works ok with me, i cannot see an issue

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kingkongfan1 on Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:12 pm

Admin wrote:congratulations on not reading my post at all

I disagree, I did read your post, got thourghly confused, which led to the stupid post I put up previous... lol... thank you for looking into the matter... king
kingkongfan1
Coalition Officer
Coalition Officer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nomad on Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:15 am

I'm still confused Question
Nomad
Alliance Leader
Alliance Leader

ID : WORD OF THE DAY
Hipocracy
hy·poc·ri·sy
Show Spelled[hi-pok-ruh-see]
–noun, plural -sies.

1. a pretense of having a virtuous character, moral or religious beliefs or principles, etc., that one does not really possess.
2. the practice of professing standards, beliefs, etc, contrary to one's real character or actual behavior, esp the pretense of virtue and piety
3. a pretense of having some desirable or publicly approved attitude.

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2008-12-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kingkongfan1 on Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:54 pm

Admin wrote:saved messages might sometimes get displayed incorrectly, that's because encoding of special characters was changed to avoid mysql errors.

if you have a saved message then you can't do anything with it.
sending messages works ok with me, i cannot see an issue

showing my stupidity here AGAIN... lol... saved two messages to my savebox this morning & both of them are screwed up... full of amp,amp, & < br>< br>... otherwise everything seems to be working fine... I'll stop using the savebox feature until further notice... thank you... king
kingkongfan1
Coalition Officer
Coalition Officer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Keinutnai on Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:22 pm

I saved 3 random messages and it worked perfectly for me.

If it doesn't work for kingkongfan1, then we should look for a cause there, where there is a difference between my and his username, or message content.

I believe the problem might be caused by kingkongfan1's username. Maybe it itself has some characters which the save feature doesn't allow.
Keinutnai
Aderan Assassin
Aderan Assassin

Alliance : World Republic
Number of posts : 663
Registration date : 2011-04-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gamniac on Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:33 pm

I'd look for a browser incompatibility.
The only odd character is the 1 on the end, I doubt a number in the username would cause/trigger a bug.
Gamniac
Aderan Miner
Aderan Miner

ID : 5094
Number of posts : 260
Location : At the bottom of a crater. I always wanted an underground base!
Registration date : 2012-04-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nomad on Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:39 pm

Mine are the same. Doesnt matter if I use my desktop running XP or my lap top running windows 7. Doesnt matter if its Modzilla or IE. Been reported so many times and neverfixed, its like so many other things I just gave up and it and quit trying, just accepted its never going to be fixed.
Nomad
Alliance Leader
Alliance Leader

Hipocracy
hy·poc·ri·sy
–noun, plural -sies.

1. a pretense of having a virtuous character, moral or religious beliefs or principles, etc., that one does not really possess.
2. the practice of professing standards, beliefs, etc, contrary to one's real character or actual behavior, esp the pretense of virtue and piety

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Keinutnai on Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:10 pm

Gamniac wrote:I'd look for a browser incompatibility.
The only odd character is the 1 on the end, I doubt a number in the username would cause/trigger a bug.

His name includes plenty of other characters, which make his name colorful, italic, bold and underlined!
My name is only bold and colorful. Maybe it's the italics, and underlined that mess up the messages, or the general length of the username.
Keinutnai
Aderan Assassin
Aderan Assassin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kingkongfan1 on Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:37 pm

Keinutnai wrote:I saved 3 random messages and it worked perfectly for me.

If it doesn't work for kingkongfan1, then we should look for a cause there, where there is a difference between my and his username, or message content.

I believe the problem might be caused by kingkongfan1's username. Maybe it itself has some characters which the save feature doesn't allow.

I appreciate what you are trying to do, but I do not understand why the #1 at the end of my name would cause such an issue with the "body" or the "message content" of a pm itself. I could see it if I were getting the problem in the area of my name, but not in the main body of the message, also it would appear that I am not the only one with this issue.

Keinutnai wrote:
Gamniac wrote:I'd look for a browser incompatibility.

His name includes plenty of other characters, which make his name colorful, italic, bold and underlined!
My name is only bold and colorful. Maybe it's the italics, and underlined that mess up the messages, or the general length of the username.

let me explain something, I had this issue a long time before I ever did anything to my name,(color, bold, italic,etc.) I only changed my name color after I took over this acct,(98) when I was still using the (2784) acct I had this problem & my name wasn't altered at all. I do not know if this is helpful or not, maybe it is the number of letters in my name, Idk...

span style=\"color:olive;font-weight:bold;font-style:italic\"KingKongFan1

this is my name, if I need to change something then tell me & I will.

Last edited by kingkongfan1 on Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:49 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : more info...)
kingkongfan1
Coalition Officer
Coalition Officer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Keinutnai on Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:54 pm

I do hope this issue will be resolved promptly.
Keinutnai
Aderan Assassin
Aderan Assassin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:27 pm

Nomad wrote:Mine are the same. Doesnt matter if I use my desktop running XP or my lap top running windows 7. Doesnt matter if its Modzilla or IE. Been reported so many times and neverfixed, its like so many other things I just gave up and it and quit trying, just accepted its never going to be fixed.
no offence but I am incapable of making this error show up and the time it got reported I was able to duplicate it and then i fixed it

I saved at least half a dozen pm's on main & test server as well as my home comp from yours and kings accounts aswell as my own
(tried mozilla & opera [both quite up to date versions], win xp [can't test win 7])

also i haven't found any bugged saved pm's in your accounts so if you could maybe save one such pm which buggs and then pm me the id of that message in your savebox

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kingkongfan1 on Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:02 pm

Admin wrote:
Nomad wrote:Mine are the same. Doesnt matter if I use my desktop running XP or my lap top running windows 7. Doesnt matter if its Modzilla or IE. Been reported so many times and neverfixed, its like so many other things I just gave up and it and quit trying, just accepted its never going to be fixed.
no offence but I am incapable of making this error show up and the time it got reported I was able to duplicate it and then i fixed it

I saved at least half a dozen pm's on main & test server as well as my home comp from yours and kings accounts aswell as my own
(tried mozilla & opera [both quite up to date versions], win xp [can't test win 7])

also i haven't found any bugged saved pm's in your accounts so if you could maybe save one such pm which buggs and then pm me the id of that message in your savebox

I had 1 message saved in my save box that was messed up, but I deleted that one, then I went about saving random message in my mail, 2 were sent to me & saved ok with no problem, the 3rd is a message I sent to smog & it has & amp ; in it several times. tbh I do not understand what you mean by "then pm me the id of that message in your savebox". wait, I think I figured it out, pm sent if I sent the wrong thing, let me know.

concerning this post...

Admin wrote:use the
Code:
[code]enter code here[/code]

to display codes like

Code:
<br> <span> etc.

tell me id's of the messages involved

I apologize to you admin, it took me this long but I finally understand what you were telling me here.

Last edited by kingkongfan1 on Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:12 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : more info...)
kingkongfan1
Coalition Officer
Coalition Officer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nomad on Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:22 am

yeah, i deleted burnt up messages I could not read, and have not attempted any saves since, but I'll do a bunch and see if I can get any to fry.

Kong, let me know what it means Embarassed
Nomad
Alliance Leader
Alliance Leader

Hipocracy
hy·poc·ri·sy
–noun, plural -sies.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kingkongfan1 on Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:43 am

Nomad wrote:yeah, i deleted burnt up messages I could not read, and have not attempted any saves since, but I'll do a bunch and see if I can get any to fry.

Kong, let me know what it means Embarassed

sent you a text/pm,

@admin- any progress yet? did I send what you needed? if not let me know & I try again.
kingkongfan1
Coalition Officer
Coalition Officer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:00 pm

yes thank you both now I actually found out what's messed up

all this time I was looking at wrong linebreaks and some extra <br > (which were resolved ages ago) but what you were actually looking for were missing &, < and >

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kingkongfan1 on Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:10 pm

Admin wrote:yes thank you both now I actually found out what's messed up

all this time I was looking at wrong linebreaks and some extra <br > (which were resolved ages ago) but what you were actually looking for were missing &, < and >

Missing? interesting, I do not fully understand (yet) exactly what you have said here, but as long as you do that in the end is all that matters. so I guess it had nothing to do with my name?
kingkongfan1
Coalition Officer
Coalition Officer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by seaborgium on Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:03 am

@Kong
When you store things in a database, they have some security in themselves. So they will change things like <,>,;," to other stuff thats less of a security risk.

So at times they get messed up.

If it is translated before going into the database and then translated when being displayed then you don't get the messy stuff we are seeing.

Always happens with coding, the little things are missed. haha

seaborgium
2nd in Command
2nd in Command

Number of posts : 2551
Registration date : 2009-10-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kingkongfan1 on Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:35 am

seaborgium wrote:@Kong
When you store things in a database, they have some security in themselves. So they will change things like <,>,;," to other stuff thats less of a security risk.

So at times they get messed up.

If it is translated before going into the database and then translated when being displayed then you don't get the messy stuff we are seeing.

Always happens with coding, the little things are missed. haha

Well this is informative; Kong learned something, thanks.
kingkongfan1
Coalition Officer
Coalition Officer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top